GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Learned a hard lesson
I have had type 1 diabetes for 12+ years and always thought I could handle most anything that came along with that diagnosis. September 17th I found out that I wasn't as smart as I thought. I woke with persistent high blood sugar readings that I could not get down in spite of several corrections with the insulin pump and several injections with a syringe. In addition to the high BGs my body started making ketones. I tested for ketones and the meter said "high".

I was afraid so I asked my husband to drive me to the local ER so I could get help. The ER doctor did blood tests and they discovered I had severe low blood sodium in addition to the ketones. The ER doctor called my GP and she instructed him to admit me via ambulance to the main hospital in a nearby town.

Since the doctor ordered the ambulance I was under the assumption that the insurance which is Medicare and a secondary insurance, would cover it. Nope, not true. We got a bill yesterday for $1600 USD for the ambulance ride which was about 10 miles. I told the nurse at the local hospital....."please let my husband drive me to the main hospital.....and she said "No, it isn't hospital policy."

Number one, I should not have gone to the ER and number two I should not have accepted an ambulance ride. We figure the ambulance ride was over $100 per mile which makes for a hard lesson learned. Oh-jeez
10-10-2015 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Learned a hard lesson
Ouch! I'd protest the bill. Appeal the non-payment of it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-10-2015 03:15 PM
AlanE Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

Man o man - When I drove an ambulance I was paid $6 an hour. granted this was in the mid 80's.

Okay, so I "bing'd" it. https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/ambulance-services.html

Excerpt: Medicare coverage depends on the seriousness of your medical condition and whether you could’ve been safely transported by other means.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
10-10-2015 03:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Could it be that the emergency room/billing dept. did not code the paperwork properly.
If they insisted that you be transported by ambulance, then it was medically necessary.

I know it's a pain in the tush, but I would fight this.

I've noticed that Medicare is refusing services of any kind that are billed incorrectly by the so called billing coders/experts. One wrong code, and it's denied.

It leaves you, the patient, stuck in the middle trying to solve it. Unsure

OpalRose
10-10-2015 03:59 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(10-10-2015 03:35 PM)AlanE Wrote:  Man o man - When I drove an ambulance I was paid $6 an hour. granted this was in the mid 80's.

Okay, so I "bing'd" it. https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/ambulance-services.html

Excerpt: Medicare coverage depends on the seriousness of your medical condition and whether you could’ve been safely transported by other means.

I asked the ER nurse if my husband could drive me to the main hospital in a nearby town and she said "No, because it is NOT hospital policy." And yet hospital policy will not be paying the bill, I will. My ambulance ride cost me over $100 a mile...pretty fancy prices for a 'ride'. The EMT did absolutely nothing, not a blood pressure check or anything else. I'm disappointed the hospital ER did not give me an option of driving there by personal car. Dont-know
10-10-2015 04:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Well, not to play arm-chair-quarterback here but they can't force you to go by ambulance. Sad They have no authority to do this. If you are able to walk out, they can't stop you. They are covering their butt in case of a lawsuit so give them one. Call one of those "we don't charge you a dime unless we win" lawyers.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
10-10-2015 04:27 PM
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

The hospitals are practicing risk management.

You have to know when to say no. That starts the moment you step out of their door.

They always make me ride in a wheelchair after having a colonoscopy, even though I have sat and stood in the recovery room for an hour or more. I comply since it's their turf. Then I'm told I won't be allowed to drive so I'll need someone to pick me up. I comply, since it's still their turf. Then when my wife loads me into the car, I slide over to the drivers side and away we go. We're back on my turf and I drive much better than my wife.

Dude
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 04:43 PM by surferdude2.)
10-10-2015 04:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

I have had the pleasure of insurance policies where they automatically denied anything and everything until you put up a fight, and then they would pay. I've had others who would pay routine stuff, but automatically deny anything not routine --- until you put up a fight, and then they pay. I hope you will go ahead and put up a fight Smile

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
10-10-2015 08:16 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I got a bill for my July 17th EMT run. I was sweating whether Medicare would cover it -- they did. Just because you get a bill does not mean MC will not cover it.

(Side Note: When I read the title of this thread I was reminded of my hard learned lesson: Never marry a woman with adult kids at home -- they never leave!)

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-10-2015 11:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

(10-10-2015 11:36 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I got a bill for my July 17th EMT run. I was sweating whether Medicare would cover it -- they did. Just because you get a bill does not mean MC will not cover it.

(Side Note: When I read the title of this thread I was reminded of my hard learned lesson: Never marry a woman with adult kids at home -- they never leave!)

Buy them a suitcase, and a one way ticket to anywhere! Laugh-a-lot

OpalRose
10-11-2015 06:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  so hard to get a good coffee Paptillian 38 5,696 05-24-2015 08:40 PM
Last Post: 2PAPs