Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Learning about my new CPAP Machine
Learning about my new CPAP Machine
Hi,

I just bought a ResMed S8 Lightweight ANZ Limited Edition CPAP Machine. It came with a hose and a ResMed Humidaire Plus Humidifier. Im not going to use it until Ive had a sleep study and all of that done with a doctor. I just wanted to learn a bit about the machine's Clinical Mode Settings. Could someone explain what these settings in my machines clinical mode mean: START CPAP, CPAP, CALIBRATE, ALT, RAMP, MAX RAMP

Thanks,

Callum
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Learning about my new CPAP Machine
G'day Callum, welcome to the forum.

As CPAPs go, the S8 is a very old machine, twice superseded, so I hope you got a good deal. If at all possible, I'd suggest you get your money back and have the sleep test first in order to decide what type of machine would be best for you. It's not a case of one size fits all.

You might be able to request a PDF copy of the clinical manual here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual Read the instructions carefully to ensure you get the right manual.

Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
The S8 is a workable machine so if you got a really cheap price there is no reason to discard it

I wouldn't mind having one as a backup in case my S9 were to stop working -- i.e., until a new one could be ordered and arrived.

While both S8 and S9 have been technically superseded by the S10, the S10 doesn't seem to offer any must have features for most people and I am uncertain if I would trade my S9 straight up for one if offered. Most of us with Resmed machines have S9s so the S8 is not TOTALLY obsolete.

Out of context, I might get some of those terms wrong (as they releate to buttons/settings on the machine) so get the S8 clinical manual (linked around here somewhere) and check them out.

Ramp is pretty easy, that's a "slow start" or "ramping up" of the pressure when you initially turn on the machine. Let's say you therapeutic pressure is 10-12, the ramp might spend 45 minutes getting you from 6 to 10 at the start of the night -- in theory, giving you time to go to sleep.

Truth is, practically all of us disable ramp as a feature in search of a problem. It probably causes more problems than it solves. (But for those who like and use it then it is a nice feature to have on the machine. Everyone is different.)

CPAP probably just means (in the context of the machine settings) the machine will deliver a CONSTANT pressure all night, e.g., 10, rather than ADJUST (APAP) as needed. Most people just starting out, with no sleep study, would want to use the APAP settings. Perhaps 6-15 as a start, just to see what the machine will do and what the data will read after a few nights sleeping with it.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers seem to have (almost) purposely chosen a naming scheme to CONFUSE various machines of the same era. S8 machines come in a variety of capabilities and I am no expert on the various models -- someone will be along to discuss your particular (Resmed S8 Lightweight ANZ Limited Edition) machine's features, especially it's data capabilities.

You really need a machine that works with either Resmed software or Sleepyhead. I would much rather an old S8 with data capability than a new S9 later without that feature.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
S8's have only limited data capability at best. And, they require a special data card that looks a bit like a big SIM card. The reader is proprietary; but still available. I ditched my S8 because of it's limited data capability. I had acquired a reader from Israel.
I keep my S8 in the closet as a backup machine.

I believe the machine included in the ResMed S8 Lightweight ANZ Limited Edition is an auto machine designated as the "Spirit." And; uses the H3i humidifier which has a small tank volume.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi callum25,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you start CPAP therapy and get your machine set up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,443 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,251 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 253 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 503 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.