Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaving the CPAP at home whilst travelling??
Leaving the CPAP at home whilst travelling??
I am a happy APAP user for the past 2 months and have seen improvements in my Sleepyhead stats (decreasing average pressure & AHI). This is encouraging and I wonder if it is an option to leave the CPAP at home when I travel for 1 or 2 days? I like to travel light and it is a nuisance to pack and unpack the unit. Is it possible that regular CPAP usage decreases apnea occurance and makes it possible to accasionally skip a night? Can you feel a difference (less alert, awake etc) after a night of non-use?Oh-jeez Is the downward trend in CPAP pressure (from 8.5 to 7.5) a typical experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaving the CPAP at home whilst travelling??
I had the same thoughts last year when taking a vacation out of the country.

I found I reverted to the old sleep pattern (waking every hour and feeling awful in the morning) right away. So, in my case, CPAP solved my issues WHEN I USED IT but not permanently.

Post Reply Post Reply
Take your CPAP with you, unless you want to experience tiredness and lack of energy during the trip. CPAP is generally not something that should be used "only occasionally", The minute you stop using it, you revert back to the old sleep patterns. CPAP doesn't "cure" sleep apnea. If you don't use it your sleep apnea returns immediately.

On the downward trend on your pressure, it depends, but yes, sometimes patients acclimate to CPAP and require less pressure over time, sometimes more pressure - it depends upon a lot of different criteria.

The sooner you get used to the fact that your "friend" (CPAP machine) is going to be with you for life, the better off you'll be, health-wise. Would you stop eating while on a trip? How about stop drinking water while on a trip? No? Then don't stop CPAP either. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to feel good during your trip, stay awake, and feel decent when you return, then yeah, take the machine. But if you don't care about these things, then leave it at home. That way when you return and want to do nothing but sleep, you don't have to go through the bother of unpacking it.

Yes, I am being sarcastic.

And yes, it is a PITA to take the machine with you. But it is a part of your life now and you must accept that. If it is humid where you are going, you may be able to leave the humidifier at home.

CPAP is not a cure, it is a treatment just like medication for hypertension or insulin for diabetics. Stop taking the medication and your blood pressure rises. Stop using the CPAP, and your apnea events increase.

An apnea event means you are not breathing in oxygen and letting the body expel CO2. Every cell in your body needs oxygen to function so each apnea event means every cell is not able to do whatever it is it is doing. It is a systemic thing and the entire body suffers as a result of each apnea event. An AHI of 30 means 30 times an hour, you stop breathing at least 10 seconds. That's once every two minutes. The body barely has time to recover when you have another event. And another. And another. The CPAP stops this cycle. You've been good to yourself for 2 months.

Early in my time with CPAP, I opted to leave it at home while I visited my brother and his family. I didn't want to pack it, unpack it, hope their house had a plug nearby, etcetera. I was only there a week. By that time, I was miserable and cut the visit short. I had chronic headaches and my blood pressure was rising. On the drive home (a 12hr trip), I hit the guardrail on the PA turnpike. Even though that "woke me up", I had to pull over five times just to try to nap. I was worse than drunk. I was acting stupid, doing stupid stuff. Years later, during a power outage, I went 5 nights without my machine. I was grumpy, twitchy, ill, all that. Now we have alternative means of powering my CPAP at night.

In the end, though, only you can decide what to do.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a morning where after I woke up (from a night of using CPAP) I decided to go back to bed for an hour but I skipped the mask. Would you believe me if I told you that I felt worse when I woke up the second time?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't dare leave my machine home. Before starting CPAP, I've been woken up on numerous occasions by various people beating on the wall when I snore. Even now if I doze off without it, my own snoring wakes me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not leave my machine at home.

I did experience a failure of an old CPAP I had while on vacation visiting relatives.

I found myself to be extremely fatigued during the drive back home.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick answer - NO!

I once forgot to pack my S8 before a four night trip to Vegas. Take it - meant to, intended to, just forgot to. One of the most miserable four nights I've ever encountered. And four worst days. Ruined the entire trip.

OSA does not get better with CPAP use. For some, it might with significant weight loss, but I would not want to test that away from home without access to PAP therapy. PAP is a life support therapy designed to do something your body doesn't do well. Like hemodialysis for kidney patients. Or insulin for a type 2 diabetic. Those treatments do not fix the underlying problems or make them better. They are just a way to deal with/overcome the effects of the underlying problem. Quit the therapy and the problem is still there. And usually, I think, more disruptive than before therapy started.

Suck it up and accept that you need to wag a bag.

OMyMy
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2013, 09:41 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Would you stop eating while on a trip? How about stop drinking water while on a trip? Coffee

Sometimes is more wiser to stop drinking water on a trip. Stick with beer or soda OPENED IN YOUR PHYSICAL PRESENCE. And never over ice.

Trust me. Don't ask how I know this. Details are classified. Or should be.

OMyMy
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the majority- take your machine. You could leave the humidifier at home for a few days. That's what I did on a recent trip. I just put the unit minus humidifier into the backpack where I had my meds and a book.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 91 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,911 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,324 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,587 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 625 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.