Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Left water in my humidifer
Gross 
Left water in my humidifer
Resmed VPAPIII
During my last trip I left water in my backup bpap humidifier while attached and transporting (6 mos ago). I just took it out because I got the book on how to change pressures and Oh-jeez The water left in the humidifier managed to get into the generator.

I was able to plug it in and make the setting changes, and it runs but...

It smells moldy inside.
What do I do??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Left water in my humidifer
Vinegar and pray?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Fill the tank with half hot, hot water and the rest vinegar and let sit for 24hrs and use 91% isopropyl and q-tips to clean the machine as much as possible.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 06:02 PM)macamon Wrote: Resmed VPAPIII
During my last trip I left water in my backup bpap humidifier while attached and transporting (6 mos ago). I just took it out because I got the book on how to change pressures and Oh-jeez The water left in the humidifier managed to get into the generator.

It smells moldy inside.
What do I do??

it smells moldy in the blower, if you remove the humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 06:18 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Fill the tank with half hot, hot water and the rest vinegar and let sit for 24hrs and use 91% isopropyl and q-tips to clean the machine as much as possible.

I think he's worried about the water that got into the blower.

Obviously, clean the tank, and replace if necessary.

Also replace the filter.

As for the blower unit, try to pour any water out of it you can. Put it somewhere cool and dry with some airflow. You might consider whether it's safe to use it in terms of electrical safety and mold growth.

If so, wipe off anything you can. Turn off the auto off function and let it run for a while. I would NOT try to put any kind of cleaner into the unit itself. There are delicate sensors inside that might get damaged.

If you're mechanically inclined or desperate enough, you could try to disassemble it and see what can be cleaned and what's growing in it. I think diamaunt posted pictures and instructions on how to disassemble an S9 somewhere.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 07:52 PM)archangle Wrote: If so, wipe off anything you can. Turn off the auto off function and let it run for a while. I would NOT try to put any kind of cleaner into the unit itself. There are delicate sensors inside that might get damaged.

I dunno what's inside those older models Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
There's more than one pressure sensor?!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 07:50 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-05-2014, 06:02 PM)macamon Wrote: Resmed VPAPIII

It smells moldy inside.
What do I do??

it smells moldy in the blower, if you remove the humidifier?

if so, and you're handy with tools, the s9 units actually surprisingly easy to take apart. if you know the tricks.

i think the Resmed VPAPIII is not an S9 series machine.

I think there is a removable humidifier lid and lid gasket, which can be removed and then replaced or cleaned well.

The air inlet filter has been replaced? (Or at least removed, for now.)

The hose was not attached and does not need to be replaced?

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for paying attention vsheline, you are correct on the vpapIII not being an S9. This is my old machine which I use for travel and backup.

I don't see a lid that I can simply remove to clean out the blower. The humidifier is a no brainer, but I'm getting ready to consider disassembling the blower unit. Does anyone have pointers about working on this dinosaur?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 07:56 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-05-2014, 07:52 PM)archangle Wrote: If so, wipe off anything you can. Turn off the auto off function and let it run for a while. I would NOT try to put any kind of cleaner into the unit itself. There are delicate sensors inside that might get damaged.

there's only three pressure sensors in there, I'm not sure whether they'd be damaged by liquids.

however, the *motor* is in the air path... and I'm pretty sure it would not appreciate liquids being dumped on it.

You may be right. The PRS1 has a humidity sensor. I don't know if any of the ResMed machines have that.

(07-05-2014, 07:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There's more than one pressure sensor?!

Some airflow sensors are made from two pressure sensors with an air restriction between them. It looks like the S9 works this way.

I don't know enough about the particular pressure or humidity sensors to tell how sensitive they are to liquids, chemicals, or gunk getting on to the sensors.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 353 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.