Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Left water in my humidifer
RE: Left water in my humidifer
(07-05-2014, 08:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-05-2014, 08:46 PM)macamon Wrote: (I'll put in a request wit sleepster)

Hey, I got your PM, but I'm not the Admin, SuperSleeper is.

No worries, though. That manual is available by email request. Follow instructions here for sending an email request:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Scroll down to SECTION THREE.

actually, the service manual isn't available by mail, it's linked out of the member files page that's down at the very very bottom of the page you linked.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 10:02 PM)diamaunt Wrote: the flow sensor is the rectangular block with the two posts near the top, one post on each side of the baffle that's in the airflow, and the pressure sensor is the chip on the bottom left with the clear gasket squidgy bit stuck to it.

I believe that part mates with a plastic tube air restriction (venturi?) device that sits in the airflow path inside the unit.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 10:57 PM)archangle Wrote:
(07-05-2014, 10:02 PM)diamaunt Wrote: the flow sensor is the rectangular block with the two posts near the top, one post on each side of the baffle that's in the airflow, and the pressure sensor is the chip on the bottom left with the clear gasket squidgy bit stuck to it.

I believe that part mates with a plastic tube air restriction (venturi?) device that sits in the airflow path inside the unit.

you sir, are correct. there's a grid inside the plastic tube that provides a restriction, and the differential pressure sensor pokes in on either side of that.

Post Reply Post Reply
So there's a venturi between the two pressure sensors? There would be a change in pressure due to that, and from the two pressure readings and the known diameters on both sides I can see how they might get the flow rate. Interesting.

It seems to me that a couple years ago or so I read something about CPAP machines using a low-inertia flow rate meter. Maybe Respironics does it that way.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 03:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote: So there's a venturi between the two pressure sensors? There would be a change in pressure due to that, and from the two pressure readings and the known diameters on both sides I can see how they might get the flow rate. Interesting.

It seems to me that a couple years ago or so I read something about CPAP machines using a low-inertia flow rate meter. Maybe Respironics does it that way.

Diamaunt's description and pictures make it sound like an airflow restriction device, not a venturi, although I'm not sure the difference matters that much.

PRS1 machines use a "Thermal Anemometric Flow Sensor. " That probably is some sort of a hot wire anemometer device. It connects to the airflow path similarly to the S9. The S9 might be a dual port pressure sensor or it might be an airflow sensor.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 03:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote: So there's a venturi between the two pressure sensors? There would be a change in pressure due to that, and from the two pressure readings and the known diameters on both sides I can see how they might get the flow rate. Interesting.

suggest you google 'differential pressure flow meter'
Post Reply Post Reply
A little late to the party, but one option to remove moisture is rice. Put the unit an rice in a large sealable bag and let it sit for a couple of days. This is one method used to dry out cel phones. If it is an odor (and not from mildew) trying putting the unit in a sealable bag and include a one to two cups of unused coffee grounds (the cheaper the better). The coffee will absorb the odor (works quite well for cigarette smoke).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'M HIJACKING MY THREAD BACK!!!
My gosh you guys have hijacked this so bad Tongue

Anyway, regarding my backup BIPAP,
RESMED VPAPIII (NOT S9)

I have taken Vsheline's recommendation and downloaded the service manual from the user file area. I have disassembled the unit, taken out the motor from the volute and went crazy with Lysol and 91% isopropyl. Diamaunt's recommendation of turning off the auto off option has been priceless. End result... the unit is back together, running, and smelling a lot better.
Since the methods I've used may not be good for someone with a sensitive respiratory system I have left out the details of what I've done.
Thanks
Your feedback has been very valuable in navigating my way through this problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 06:08 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: A little late to the party, but one option to remove moisture is rice. Put the unit an rice in a large sealable bag and let it sit for a couple of days. This is one method used to dry out cel phones. If it is an odor (and not from mildew) trying putting the unit in a sealable bag and include a one to two cups of unused coffee grounds (the cheaper the better). The coffee will absorb the odor (works quite well for cigarette smoke).

I've heard varying reports on whether the rice idea really works. There are a lot of reports of success, but maybe the device is just drying out the same as it would have without rice.

I took some dry rice, carefully weighed it with a sensitive scale and let it sit out for a while. It never gained even 1% in weight.

There was a joke about someone using cooked rice instead of dry rice.....

You can buy sealed containers of desiccant at Home Depot and similar places. It might be a good idea to buy some and keep it on hand for emergencies.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 08:01 PM)archangle Wrote: You can buy sealed containers of desiccant at Home Depot and similar places.

They are far more effective than rice.

When I lived in this humid climate without air conditioning (something I could never do now) we noticed that putting rice in the salt shaker kept the salt from clogging.

I would bet that if I weighed a cup of dry rice that's been in my air conditioned home for awhile, and then set it outside in the summertime humidity of Houston for several hours, it would weigh more.

Let me go get that scale ...

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 354 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.