Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leftover water in humidair
Leftover water in humidair
Hi,

First night with CPAP so I wasn't sure how much water was going to be used by the humidair in Resmed S10, so I filled it halfway (around 250 ml probably) with distilled water. Humidification was set at 4. In the morning, the level of water left was nearly identical so it didn't use a lot of water probably. Now my question is, what to do with this water. The manual suggests emptying leftover water but I don't want to spill it, as it isn't always easy to find distilled water. Can I leave it in the humidair? Can I put it back to its original bottle instead of throwing away? Also, what is the expected amount of water to be used by the humidair (of course this would depend on how long you use it and what is the humidification setting, but I am trying to understand what ballpark we are talking about? For example 8 hours on seting 4)

Thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leftover water in humidair
I'm no expert but my doctor told me to discard the water, rinse it and apply new water EVERY day. Just imagine water sitting in the same chamber for days.

My device does not use that much water as well, i guess thats just how it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Water usage depends on humidifier settings and ambient humidity so it can vary from day to day. 

I use distilled water, as well. I add water as needed and only dump the water once a week when I wash the water chamber. I wouldn't dump the water in the chamber back into the original bottle, however. 

It's not really necessary to use distilled water unless your tap water has a high mineral content and even then, tap water can still be used with a good cleaning routine. It is advised to dump the water daily to limit mineral deposits in the humidifier chamber when using tap water.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Periodically soaking your humidifier tank by partially filling it with white vinegar and allowing it to stand for the day will remove mineralization from the tank.. [also works when trying to remove the calcium build up in a kettle as well.  Bigwink ]
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume commercial de-calcifiers would also work. Doesn't using vinegar add some smell to the air (I don'^t really like how vinegar smells)
Post Reply Post Reply
I use white vinegar about once a month, then follow with a cleaning of Dawn liquid dish soap or whatever available and rinse well. There's no smell after that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2020, 05:52 AM)drmaestro Wrote: I assume commercial de-calcifiers would also work. Doesn't using vinegar add some smell to the air (I don'^t really like how vinegar smells)

(05-21-2020, 05:09 AM)MitchS Wrote: ...
I use distilled water, as well. I add water as needed and only dump the water once a week when I wash the water chamber. I wouldn't dump the water in the chamber back into the original bottle, however. 

It's not really necessary to use distilled water unless your tap water has a high mineral content and even then, tap water can still be used with a good cleaning routine. It is advised to dump the water daily to limit mineral deposits in the humidifier chamber when using tap water.

(05-21-2020, 06:39 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I use white vinegar about once a month, then follow with a cleaning of Dawn liquid dish soap or whatever available and rinse well.  There's no smell after that.

drmaestro, 

There are a lot of approaches to tank water management. All of the above suggestions are viable. In our town, the water is so hard it only takes days for minerals to deposit, so I use distilled water. White vinegar is only smelly while you're soaking with it. Once you rinse and dry your tank, all traces are gone. I use a mild soap about once a week.

From my own experience, I prefer not to leave water in the tank longer than a week because it leaves a biofilm that's noticeably slimy when you go to wash the tank any later than that. With my old S9, I used to disassemble and wash even the non-dishwashable tank and put it in the top rack of the dishwasher every so often without heated dry. The tank looks and functions no differently than the day I bought it with my original S9.

I've got two non-dishwashable AS10 Humidair tanks and will be trying one of them in the dishwasher this week, top rack, without heated dry. I'm pretty sure it will survive, but I'll post the results in a separate thread later.

A cleaning regimen is good. Just choose what works for your energy levels and your environment.

Chris
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Me... I dump it every day and clean it. And I don't loose no sleep over it. Distilled water by the gallon is only a buck 29... and my tank can utilize a gallon for 16 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Water in the humidifier should be emptied daily. Even distilled water provides a suitable environment for airborne bacteria and other contaminate to eventually colonize.  These common bacteria and non pathogenic and are mostly an aesthetic problem, but we would rather avoid that.  I have used tap water since starting CPAP many years ago.  It has never been a problem and dumping the water costs nothing.  For anyone concerned about minerals or other contaminates in humidifier water, I recommend getting a Zero Water Pitcher.  These provide reduction of suspended solids and organic contaminates.  This Spring our well water at the cottage was simply gross, and I was able to get clean clear water less than 2 ppm TSS using the Zero Water, which after initial investment just uses a new filter every 6 months or so.  Check this out...yuck!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21549]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the answers.

I'll try the Zero Water approach first, as I think it is more practical and I won't feel too much guilt on emptying bottled distilled water (yes, you are right, it is cheap, but somehow tap water seems more sustainable). We don't have Zero Water here but there is Brita, which I assume would be similar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,075 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 146 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 180 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,910 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,486 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 204 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 238 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.