Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Legal liability for not using the CPAP machine
Legal liability for not using the CPAP machine
If a person diagnosed with sleep apnea refuses to use the cpap machine and causes an auto accident, can failure to use the machine create additional liability/risk for the non-compliant person?

I use my machine each night, but I want to advise a friend of this risk if his sleep study reveals apnea and refuses to get treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Legal liability for not using the CPAP machine
First, I ain't no freakin' lawyer nor am I an attorney so these are just my thoughts.

That being said....

Driving while impaired for any reason is always a bad idea.

In the most logical sense, it's not likely driving while being tired much different than being impaired on prescribed medication, illicit drugs or inebriated because of alcohol.

I'm more than convinced the law wouldn't make any distinction for any otherwise avoidable reason.

Having a sudden, previously unknown medical event occur while driving, resulting in an accident, would in all likelihood be categorized as truly being an unavoidable accident.

The significant difference being one event would likely be criminal and the other just civil.

Oh, and many insurance policies have escape clauses buried deep inside them that limit if not absolve the insurance company of any liability if an accident were caused because of a deliberate criminal act.

You might consider asking an attorney in your state for a professional and opinion and guidance on your query, as all this is nothing more than a simple man's speculation, nothing more, nothing less.
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Some states are making it compulsory to disclose and treat. It seems Maryland is one example.

Regardless of compulsory or not; in a civil tort, there is the process of discovery; and depositions of various parties.
Any ambulance chaser with a bar card personal injury attorney would find out about non-compliance to cpap and use it against the other party.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 04:00 PM)justMongo Wrote: Some states are making it compulsory to disclose and treat. It seems Maryland is one example.

Ahhhh yes.. .Maryland.. but then again its Maryland... the state that taxes the rain that falls onto your property! Huhsign

Soon I'm sure they will find a way to tax you or fine you for flatulence

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I live in the Народная Социалистическая Республика Калифорния, I cannot throw stones at Maryland.
I am, however, trying to escape from this ГУЛАГ.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I understand the question, but I question the question. Wouldn't a better question be, would the person be morally responsible driving with a known compromising medical condition and falling asleep and killing a bus load of children - regardless of how unlikely it might be?

I have no sympathy for anyone that drives with a known condition that could compromise their ability to drive safely. NONE. PERIOD. ZIP. I have no sympathy for such a person either.

So, I would tell my "friend" that and I would recommend that they should seek the advise of a lawyer and either a Rabbi, a Priest or a Minister.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Or their Imam.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you might let your friend read these responses to understand what a jury might be considering.
Post Reply Post Reply
One can sue a ham sandwich in civil court.
Win lose or draw the machine will be cheaper than a lawyer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi westernartfan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope your friend will use his/her CPAP machine if sleep apnea is diagnosed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post., much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 307 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 626 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,737 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,293 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.