Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Legionairre's disease as a result of cpap use
Question 
Legionairre's disease as a result of cpap use
I'm wondering if anybody has looked into the possibilty of contracting "LEGIONNAIRE'S" or any other water borne germ as a result of using a CPAP.(humidifier tank not being frequently or properly cleaned)

The last I heard was that it only existed in cold water "chillers" used in large air conditioning units.

When I sent an e-mail (TWICE) to he CDC in Atlanta about 7 years ago re this issue, I received a reply that didn't answer my question.
Maybe someone else on this board could give it a try.

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Legionairre's disease as a result of cpap use
(03-16-2016, 11:55 AM)ran-man Wrote: I'm wondering if anybody has looked into the possibilty of contracting "LEGIONNAIRE'S" or any other water borne germ as a result of using a CPAP.(humidifier tank not being frequently or properly cleaned)
Yes, me.
I had a pneumonia caused by legionella.

Legionella has been found inside of the humidifier, but not in the water of my home.
I have been on business travel 10 days before that., staying at 3 different hotels.
I clean my water tank every day, the hose every week.

I use tapwater at home and botteled water when I am traveling.

Hermann
Post Reply Post Reply
The source of the bacteria Legionella is from fresh water since it occurs naturally in water, according to the CDC. It normally doesn't grow to problem levels until the water is warmed to a certain level, such as in the chiller towers of large a/c systems where the water carries the heat of compression to the tower where it is rejected into the atmosphere by the process of evaporation.

Since this water may used for a long period of time without disinfecting it can grow Legionella bacteria to high levels. Proper water treatment measures help prevent that from being a hazard but the best way is to avoid breathing the air that comes from the tower. That's easily done except when you are on a cruise liner or similar circumstance where you can't easily avoid the area where the tower is located and especially where the air is exhausted. Also consider that this air may get sucked back into the a/c system via the fresh air induction that is required on a properly installed system. That spreads the hazard to everyone aboard a ship on those cruise liners.

Since not properly cleaning and disinfecting a CPAP humidifier would seem to provide the same environment/conditions for the bacteria to grow and propagate into the air, it should make all of use concerned about the quality of the water we use and the need for disinfecting the humidifier on a regular schedule. We use water, we heat it and we breathe the air passing over it. Same conditions... airborne bacteria.

<quoting the CDC>
The key to preventing legionellosis is maintenance of the water systems in which Legionella grow, including drinking water systems, hot tubs, decorative fountains, and cooling towers (air-conditioning units for large buildings). There are no vaccines that can prevent legionellosis. </quote>

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Dude,

Thanx. for the info. That's a better explanation (and easier to understand for a person like me).

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2016, 01:32 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: The source of the bacteria Legionella is from fresh water since it occurs naturally in water, according to the CDC.

Does that mean if i use distilled water i can avoid the bacteria?Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll probably be safe from the Legionella bacteria by using distilled water. However, there are plenty of others that you may be incubating if you don't disinfect the reservoir on a regular basis.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Would the chlorine in the water from your tap be enough to disinfect or is a stronger measure called for?
Post Reply Post Reply
interesting topic, how do you disinfect a cpap without hurting the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2016, 05:45 AM)jpsantell Wrote: interesting topic, how do you disinfect a cpap without hurting the machine?

You don't disinfect the machine, only the water chamber.

Be sure to dump water every morning, and let air dry.

I use distilled water, it's cheap and easily available and clean water chamber once a week with dawn soap, hot water, rinse with vinegar, then rinse again with distilled water and let air dry. This way there is no vinegar smell. Wink
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2016, 11:55 AM)ran-man Wrote: I'm wondering if anybody has looked into the possibilty of contracting "LEGIONNAIRE'S" or any other water borne germ as a result of using a CPAP.(humidifier tank not being frequently or properly cleaned)

The last I heard was that it only existed in cold water "chillers" used in large air conditioning units.

When I sent an e-mail (TWICE) to he CDC in Atlanta about 7 years ago re this issue, I received a reply that didn't answer my question.
Maybe someone else on this board could give it a try.

Randy

Good question. I had three bouts of pneumonia after starting on CPAP . It never helped me and I was convinced that the CPAP may have caused one or two of them. Now I am trying it again b/c my apnea is so bad. BUT - I was told only to use distilled water or boiled water. I boil my own water, but we will be traveling in Europe soon, and I'm concerned about not getting the right water. Any thoughts from anyone?
I use boiled water in my CPAP (I thought that I previously got pneumonia from it). I stopped using it for a while but started again b/c of bad apnea.

But I understand we should use either distilled or boiled water. We will be traveling soon, and I don't know if I can get distilled water.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,038 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Review of OSCAR Result wasvsdal 7 665 10-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Pressure] Many Settings - Same Result - OSCAR Detectives take a look? BionicBreather 16 1,784 10-16-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
  When UARS Is Lung Disease? Lung experts? Apnea23 25 1,751 07-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Apnea23
  State-of-the-Art Sleep Apnea and Cardiovascular Disease MnGeno 0 369 06-29-2023, 12:45 PM
Last Post: MnGeno
  A Nueroinvasive disease with Apnea Jsmcquea 3 551 06-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.