Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Legionairre's disease as a result of cpap use
KathyV,

Thanks for your concern.

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply
Katy V

Sorry for your loss.

Although it hasn't been proven by the CDC, I strongly believe that legion Ella's can be transmitted through an "unclean" CPAP machine.

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
I use bottled water that I ozonate. Since the bottled water has no chlorine residual, it's possible that it could become contaminated. I refashioned a SoClean and piped it into a 2.5 gallon picnic water cooler with a small tube that bubbles the ozone through the water. Every day, the water gets a 15 minute shot of ozone. This will kill off everything -- even things like cryptosporidium and Giardia if I'm not mistaken.

My hoses and humidifer chamber are soaked all day in a couple of gallons of water to which I add 1 tsp of Control III disinfectant. Mask is soaked in water with a tiny bit of liquid soap. I rinse the mask thoroughly. I don't rinse the humidifier chamber or the hoses. The normal dose for Control III is, I believe, about 1 oz per gallon for an hour. But I use 1 tsp per 2.5 gallons for 12 hours. This gives a good C-T level (Concentration times Time) with extremely low residual of anything.

My BIPAP has a fine filter, so the air and the water that I receive is very clean. I use mask liners and a full-face mask. All my equipment sparkles like new even though it is about 3 years old. All smells good when I go to bed. All the cleaning takes me 15 minutes a day.

This works for me and after beginning CPAP therapy in 2013, I rarely, if ever, get a cold -- and certainly no lung infections or pneumonia. This may sound like overkill for some, but for me, it's become simple and effective for a very small investment in time and materials.

I love my CPAP machine. I sleep now like a baby and my health has improved dramatically since beginning CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eye puffiness as a result of cpap ran-man 8 654 03-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Kayak18
  Why do AHI and Centrals show a roller coaster result ckingzzzs 8 1,046 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ckingzzzs
  [CPAP] First day result rajiray 12 1,414 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Last Post: rajiray
  [Treatment] Does PAP therapy eliminate AHI? What is acceptable result? janesleeping 7 1,166 03-18-2016, 10:22 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Gross CPAP and Periodontal disease ezdrifler 14 2,105 02-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
Wink My last night result ! Rousseau21 7 1,011 02-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Rousseau21
Question CPAP dry mouth & gum disease ?! bazder 8 1,918 01-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Last Post: geoffleach