Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Legionairre's disease as a result of cpap use
RE: Legionairre's disease as a result of cpap use
KathyV,

Thanks for your concern.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Katy V

Sorry for your loss.

Although it hasn't been proven by the CDC, I strongly believe that legion Ella's can be transmitted through an "unclean" CPAP machine.

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
I use bottled water that I ozonate. Since the bottled water has no chlorine residual, it's possible that it could become contaminated. I refashioned a SoClean and piped it into a 2.5 gallon picnic water cooler with a small tube that bubbles the ozone through the water. Every day, the water gets a 15 minute shot of ozone. This will kill off everything -- even things like cryptosporidium and Giardia if I'm not mistaken.

My hoses and humidifer chamber are soaked all day in a couple of gallons of water to which I add 1 tsp of Control III disinfectant. Mask is soaked in water with a tiny bit of liquid soap. I rinse the mask thoroughly. I don't rinse the humidifier chamber or the hoses. The normal dose for Control III is, I believe, about 1 oz per gallon for an hour. But I use 1 tsp per 2.5 gallons for 12 hours. This gives a good C-T level (Concentration times Time) with extremely low residual of anything.

My BIPAP has a fine filter, so the air and the water that I receive is very clean. I use mask liners and a full-face mask. All my equipment sparkles like new even though it is about 3 years old. All smells good when I go to bed. All the cleaning takes me 15 minutes a day.

This works for me and after beginning CPAP therapy in 2013, I rarely, if ever, get a cold -- and certainly no lung infections or pneumonia. This may sound like overkill for some, but for me, it's become simple and effective for a very small investment in time and materials.

I love my CPAP machine. I sleep now like a baby and my health has improved dramatically since beginning CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 07:42 PM)Sybil456 Wrote:
(03-16-2016, 11:55 AM)ran-man Wrote: I'm wondering if anybody has looked into the possibilty of contracting "LEGIONNAIRE'S" or any other water borne germ as a result of using a CPAP.(humidifier tank not being frequently or properly cleaned)

The last I heard was that it only existed in cold water "chillers" used in large air conditioning units.

When I sent an e-mail (TWICE) to he CDC in Atlanta about 7 years ago re this issue, I received a reply that didn't answer my question.
Maybe someone else on this board could give it a try.

Randy

Good question.  I had three bouts of pneumonia after starting on CPAP .  It never helped me and I was convinced that the CPAP may have caused one or two of them.  Now I am trying it again b/c my apnea is so bad.  BUT - I was told only to use distilled water or boiled water.  I boil my own water, but we will be traveling in Europe soon, and I'm concerned about not getting the right water.  Any thoughts from anyone?

I use boiled water in my CPAP (I thought that I previously got pneumonia from it). I stopped using it for a while but started again b/c of bad apnea.

But I understand we should use either distilled or boiled water.  We will be traveling soon, and I don't know if I can get distilled water.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.
Many hotels internationally have small kettles in the room (not the American coffee maker machines, but real electric kettles just for water). You could boil a batch of water.

If you're traveling to a developing country, you should carry a Steripen anyway, for drinking water. I'll bet this would give you a quality source of CPAP humidifier water, too.

I actually carry a small travel kettle with me, but I also have a Steripen.
Post Reply Post Reply
How does the humidifier convert water into vapor? Heat? Ultrasonic? Does that process kill bacteria?
Post Reply Post Reply
Heat. Vapor is steam on a much smaller scale. That's the best I can explain it. Now you know why I flunked science.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Water will evaporate at room temperature. All the heated humidifier does is to add a little heat to get the water to evaporate faster. It does not get boiled in the humidifier and it is doubtful that any bacteria are killed at the low temperatures that the water is heated to although some might be.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the humidifier typically is by heating and no it wouldn't be hot enough to kill bacteria or germs that I'm aware of.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2017, 09:08 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Water will evaporate at room temperature. All the heated humidifier does is to add a little heat to get the water to evaporate faster. It does not get boiled in the humidifier and it is doubtful that any bacteria are killed at the low temperatures that the water is heated to although some might be.

(08-27-2017, 09:12 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I believe the humidifier typically is by heating and no it wouldn't be hot enough to kill bacteria or germs that I'm aware of.

Thanks.  I don't have a humidifier on mine, I was wondering if it acted similarly to one of the misting-type humidifiers you might use next to your bed.  I checked, and it looks to me like a CPAP humidifier works by warming up the water in the tank to create a humid environment inside the enclosure, then passing air over the water.
Post Reply Post Reply
KSMatthew:

FWIW I picture my humidifier like it's a hot plate in miniature, warming the water tank to something about what may be very warm to hot tap water. The temperature it heats to depending on your setting for the humidifier. And no I've no idea what exactly that temperature is, just my semi-educated guess.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Review of OSCAR Result wasvsdal 7 664 10-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Pressure] Many Settings - Same Result - OSCAR Detectives take a look? BionicBreather 16 1,781 10-16-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
  When UARS Is Lung Disease? Lung experts? Apnea23 25 1,749 07-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Apnea23
  State-of-the-Art Sleep Apnea and Cardiovascular Disease MnGeno 0 369 06-29-2023, 12:45 PM
Last Post: MnGeno
  A Nueroinvasive disease with Apnea Jsmcquea 3 551 06-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.