Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Less AHI with nasal mask, but feeling more fresh with full face mask
Less AHI with nasal mask, but feeling more fresh with full face mask
Hi folks!
My doctor strongly recommended a nasal mask as he claimed it's more natural as the nose filters the air inhaled. I agreed with him. 

While the CPAP machine reports less AHI per hour with the nasal mask, I felt more fresh when I used full face masks. 

Anybody has a similar experience?

KR,
Que0x
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Less AHI with nasal mask, but feeling more fresh with full face mask
(09-10-2017, 10:02 AM)que0x Wrote: Hi folks!
My doctor strongly recommended a nasal mask as he claimed it's more natural as the nose filters the air inhaled. I agreed with him. 

While the CPAP machine reports less AHI per hour with the nasal mask, I felt more fresh when I used full face masks. 

Anybody has a similar experience?

KR,
Que0x

Machines can be stupid to some extent, they only know what their sensors tell them.
Yes it is more natural when you breath through your nose, however, some people do not do that, especially when sleeping.
You can be a nose breather, a mouth breather or like most people a mixed breather, when sometimes we breath through our noses and at other times through our mouths.
So, if you feel better using your Full-faced mask, I would use it.

If you really want to know how you are getting on, get https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./?TestingVersions
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not unusual to see a small shift in AHI when changing mask types, or even when changing between different models of the same type of mask. A slight change in minimum pressure will compensate. In my own experience, going from a Resmed Quattro Air to an F&P Simplus (both full face masks, but the Simplus has a much larger volume) I needed to increase my minimum pressure about 1 cm H2O to achieve the same AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. I also noticed less leakage with the nansal mask. Also I didn't take off the nasal mask unconsciouly as I did with the full face mask. However, I still feel more fresh after using a full face mask. I think I gonna go back to the full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I would go with feeling better over a numerical description of how I slept.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go with the fullface if that is the one you feel better. I would sugeest you change the machine settings to match what mask you are using.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 255 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 512 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.