Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Less pressure needed with nasal pillows?
Less pressure needed with nasal pillows?
Is it expected that nasal pillows require less pressure (about 2cm) than nasal masks to achieve similar results? I've tried nasal pillows for the very first time last night and the max pressure in Auto CPAP is 2cm less than the usual with nasal mask, AHI equally good.

If that is the case, does it say anything about the apnea type? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Less pressure needed with nasal pillows?
You could post a a couple charts for comparison, reflecting the use of the two different masks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have said for a long time that the use of nasal pillows can reduce the need for pressure. This is due to less volume in the mask and direct application of pressure to the nasal airway. It's like driving a sports car instead of a station wagon; there is a direct connection to the power and no slop in response. Your findings are consistent with my own.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2023, 09:04 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You could post a a couple charts for comparison, reflecting the use of the two different masks.

I've attached both screenshots, with AirFit N20 (AHI 0.00 in the screenshot) and AirFit P10 (AHI 0.64).

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2023, 09:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have said for a long time that the use of nasal pillows can reduce the need for pressure. This is due to less volume in the mask and direct application of pressure to the nasal airway.   It's like driving a sports car instead of a station wagon; there is a direct connection to the power and no slop in response. Your findings are consistent with my own.

Now that you've mentioned it I think it makes sense from a physics perspective: with constant pressure but narrower output it would increase the velocity of the air, the same way that a pressure washer nozzle (or garden hose) works. And with more speed it will have more energy to kick down things or force the airway open.

I am also wondering if the fact that nose pillows are more side-sleeper-friendly are also a factor. Check this out:

[Image: 4yBmwB0.png]

This is from the same night I have attached in my other reply in this thread for the AirFit N20 nasal mask. I also had a O2 ring that night and I've put here the movement chart next to the pressure. You can see that between 04:30 and 05:20 there as a constant decrease in the pressure needed to keep the airway open and it closely matches with two big peaks in movement, that I am understanding as me getting either on my side or on my back. Is that also your understanding?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed the same using an ASV with the N30i vs F30i, both great masks. It helps to use a chin strap or mouth tape if you find yourself mouth breathing with high levels of leakage with the nasal pillow vs. full face mask. If you have problems breathing through your nose, consider using Breathe Right strips, or the generic equivalent.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help? Old Moondog 6 170 04-26-2024, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Old Moondog
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 203 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,265 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 235 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Pressure vs. Airflow Burst for Nasal Opening GoodSleepHunting 0 124 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 442 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 220 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.