Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
RE: Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
If you have tinnitus, it's best to have white noise on the background, not anything that causes background noise to silence (unless, it's aburpt randsom sounds which can wake people).

As for what I do for better sleep. I put on sleep mask to mask the light.

I have mild acid reflux or GERD so I make sure I eat at minimum of 3 hrs before going to bed. I got to bed on a time that would provide me with sufficient sleep because I seem to wake up at a particular time and can't get back to sleep. So, I shift my sleeping time to get at least 7 hrs of sleep.

Get a normal profile pillow. No need for fancy ones or memory foam. Memory foam that is thick doensn't compress down enough and may cause chin-tuck.

Use a cervical collar to prevent chin-tucking that causes positional apnea.

Make sure to humidify the air you breath if the air is dry. Some CPAP machines have built in humidifiers, and room humidifier can be used. This can easy sinus issues that makes breathing through nose difficult.

Make sure the temperature is cool enough for good sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
@DaveL -- Here in the US, the Veterans Administration will give hearing aids to any veteran who has served honorably (i.e. without a dishonorable discharge). It used to be that the aids were limited to those having "service-connected disabilities" but that is no longer the case. ANY vet can get them and they are free, which is a beg deal compared to the ~$6,000 cost on the open market for my aids. The Oticon brand (and probably others) are said to have the ability to counter/minimize tinnitus. I can't vouch for that because I don't have tinnitus but the user manual says so.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s funny, even as my CPAP eased my sleep issues, I realized I was more sensitive than ever to my environment. My spouse, I love her to death, but she’s a truly restless sleeper.  So I realized I needed to find some way to be with her, but not affected as much by her. So…

First, earplugs as mentioned upthread.  I’m a side sleeper, so I only need one a night. The classic 3M yellow foam plugs are more effective and comfortable for me than the more common bullet-shaped ones.

More significantly, we splurged on a high-end mattress set.  Luckily, there’s a manufacturer only a few miles away (yes, they really make them there), and their top-of-the-line is 100% latex.  But we went a step farther: two twin XL mattresses, each customized to our firm/softness preferences, butted up next to each other, exactly the same dimensions as the king we replaced.  With separate motorized adjustable platforms, so I can elevate my head slightly.  This combination really helps avoid rousing each other unintentionally, as latex dampens like nothing else  It also dwarfed the cost of my CPAP machine… but we would do it all again if we had to.
Post Reply Post Reply
clownbell I've never served. Although it's due to exposure to noise at work, cost is about $6,000 Cdn for basic hearing aids here.I do appreciate Veterans and their service. My Father served--career Canadian Navy; WW2 and Korean War. My Mother was Army during WW2.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree about the background noise.

In summer the room humidity here in Perth can fall to 30% which does not help my dry eyes at night.

A P****** humidifier HU4803 (internet search) helps me a lot with getting the RH up to around 40% or more but *also* provides a lovely soothing white noise which drowns out any background/traffic noise, provided you dont let it cycle on and off all night.

And so easy to top up and maintain compared to the other brand I had before.

Getting cooler here now so RH is up again, but I shall bring it out again come spring!
Post Reply Post Reply
@Clownbell, that's good to know. If at some point I may need a hearing aid when I reach that age, I will certainly take care of that benefit. What benefits are there in terms of sleep apnea? Can I get CPAP equipment through the VA? I'm afraid I may lose my job before my rental period is done, so I can keep the equipment. If I were to be let go before that period, my health insurance will be cut-off and don't know what happens with the CPAP equipment situation.

What's the process of getting CPAP equipment through the VA?
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, sleep mask and ear plugs are vital.

I love personally the Howard Leight Laser Lite soft foam earplugs - they're bright pink and yellow and look like rhubarb and custard candy, but they work really well in terms of comfort and noise reduction. I have real issues with sound sensitivity, and if I'm not wearing earplugs, then I'm wearing noise-cancelling headphones/earbuds.

Eye masks I am less fussy about. I found some nice soft silky ones a couple of weeks ago that have an adjustable strap, which allows the mask to fit over my CPAP headgear without being too tight and annoying me. It does let a little light in where it meets the bridge of the nose on my mask, but not enough to disturb me.

And finally, I find a weighted blanket is a HUGE help. They can be really expensive, but they make such a big difference to me by reducing restlessness at night, and inducing overall relaxation, even when awake, that I love them to death.

I also have a hospital-style bed (because of my other health issues, this is vital) and while that's probably not something most people need, having an adjustable bed that allows you to lift the head, feet, or under the knees can be REALLY helpful if you struggle to find a comfortable position because of pain or whatnot. It's a big outlay, cost-wise, but that (and a mattress designed for people at high risk of pressure sores and skin breakdown from being bedbound) has proven to be insanely comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Ratchick! I haven't considered any of those remedies. I move a lot at night. A weighted blanket might help.

I sometimes wear a Knightsbridge Dual Strap chin strap. I found that my brand new mask didn't fit. The lower magnetic clips would pop off. Leakage! So I had to go to a Large N20.

Putting all this gear on I feel like a freak when I get up and go to the washroom, wearing all my gear. Strange response. I only alarm myself.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
For those sensitive to temperature in terms of too warm or heat, I'd advise against weighted blanket (unless in a cool/cold climate). Weighted blanket retains heat that it will get too warm inside. No matter what they advertise as cool material, etc.. are BS. It doesn't beath very well due to the density of the blanket. To stay cool, one wants something that breathes easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
@CorruptAligator - I am not an expert because I receive most health care (including sleep apnea)from Kaiser, getting only hearing aids from VA. But I thought perhaps I can help here.

I did look on the VA website at https://www.veterantraining.va.gov/sleepapnea/index.asp and perhaps found at least a partial answer. The above described site contains a link to a CPAP Tip Sheet which includes the statement "After receiving a prescription, Veterans can obtain the machines from CPAP providers who contract with the VA. These CPAP providers often offer telephone-based technical support and advice."

The question in my mind is -- does the prescription have to come from a VA Doctor, as opposed to a medical doctor outside of the VA. Sometime; VA is really picky about that kind of thing. If I were you, I would contact your local Veterans Service Officer who you can reach through your local VFW or American legion post. The VSO can help answer your question or know who has the answer.

Now that I think of it, if your job goes away you may need to find a new health care provider. If you sign up with the VA Healthcare System (your Veterans Service Officer can help you do it), you will obtain a VA primary care doc who can either write your prescription or arrange for a test. You mahy recall some negative press a few years ago regarding the quality of VA healthcare -- I understand it has HUGELY improved. Check it out.

All you need is ah honorable discharge.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 83 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,663 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 60 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 180 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.