Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
RE: Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
(05-23-2021, 02:24 PM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: For those sensitive to temperature in terms of too warm or heat, I'd advise against weighted blanket (unless in a cool/cold climate).  Weighted blanket retains heat that it will get too warm inside.  No matter what they advertise as cool material, etc.. are BS.  It doesn't beath very well due to the density of the blanket.  To stay cool, one wants something that breathes easily.

This is definitely true. I live in the UK and we don't tend to struggle with being too hot, but it definitely does retain heat very well. But I suppose that's to be expected when you have tens of pounds of blanket on top of you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
I've tried many things to make sleep better, even tried to kick hubby out of the bedroom into the guest room.
Just kidding...   Smile

Eventually purchased an adjustable king size bed. The adjustable bases operate separately, which allows us to adjust to our own liking.  

In addition, I've always slept better in a cooler bedroom.  We sometimes use a fan even in winter months.

I tried a weighted blanket once.  Not a great experience, as I didn't take into account my claustrophobic tendencies.  
Or the blanket itself was just too heavy.  Dont-know

Anyway, I started to panic with the blanket on me, as I couldn't move easily, couldn't roll over, left to right without a struggle.  Passed that blanket on to my niece who loves it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal Rose!

My house gets too warm on the top floor. A fan would be a good idea.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
@ratchick, those weighted blackets have tiny beads inside them, and also the lining has to be really tough, so lining is dense without much breathability on top of the layering of beads that blocks flow of air. Also, the weight of the blanket will adhere everywhere around your body, so there is no opening for air to escape from inside the blanket. So the body heat radiation does not escape. So, at some point of night, if sensitive to temperature, you will wake due to the heat build-up.

Also, a lot of the cool blanket materials are a bunch of BS. Material really don't make that much of a difference as they say. I tried a bunch and I was disappointed. As yall can sense, I'm sensitive to ambient temperature.

I also come to realization that the bed quality is not really much of a factor compared to all the practical aids we discuss here like CPAP, cervical collar, room temperature, etc... There's so much marketing to get you to buy stuff you don't need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ratchick I appreciate the suggestion.

Every idea is good. If I only accepted what my sleepdoc sold me I'd be in harm's way with a treatment program that plain doesn't work.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I used to post to a newsgroup...I believe it was called Sleep Disorders. It was almost completely about OSA.

A person there was a mentor of mine when I first started out. He made a world of difference. However, though he was helpful negative comments turned him away.

I hope this list of posts helps someone sometime!

It has already helped me.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
What have I done to improve sleep? Uh let's see...hired and fired 3 different pulmonary Dr. McDucks, got my PCP to script me a medical bed frame and medical air mattress with alternating pressure and low air loss options for extreme back pain that hinders sleep, had ASV therapy for a while but COPD and some lung scarring from July 2019 pneumonia knocked it off the rails, have worked on sleep hygiene some, being referred out to John's Hopkins Baltimore for pulmonary treatment is the latest. Oh and I created an account on Apnea Board in early 2017 to increase my learning so I can successfully advocate for myself.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Treated digestive problems. I think digestion and intestinal health has more of an effect on sleep then a lot of people realize (and there are some pretty neat studies showing ties to numerous health issues). Our gut plays a big role in both immune and neurological systems both of which have significant effects on sleep quality and health in general.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve also been seeing a psychologist for CBT-I, I also wear a blackout mask over my CPAP mask at night, most of my lights are also on dimmers and the lights go down gradually at night. I find white noise helps also.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
CorruptAlligator: Aye, it depends on the blanket. Some are filled with glass beads, some with plastic, some with buckwheat etc. It just depends but yes, between the filling and the fabric thickness, they're not the most breathable covers. The fact that they cling to your body is the design function, but yes, if you're sensitive to heat, it's not necessarily going to be right for you. Ironically, I usually am sensitive to heat because of my other health issues, but I guess as long as I leave my shoulders out (and maybe my feet) then I stay at a comfortable temperature. I don't know why my feet are so good as a thermostat, but there we are...!

OpalRose: Yeah, unfortunately, that's the purpose of them, to cling to you, to weigh you down and feel like you have a steady pressure on you. They were primarily designed for people like myself, who are neurodivergent, as a lot of us enjoy that deep pressure and find it very calming. That said, a number of neurotypical people also find them just as relaxing, but others can find them claustrophobic and overwhelming. And yes, if the blanket is TOO heavy, that's definitely a problem. I'm glad your niece enjoyed it, though! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation Frequent Jolting in Sleep Pawpri 5 54 43 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,778 Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Quitethe1
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 134 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 66 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.