Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
RE: Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
Go to bed at the same time every night. Allow yourself 30 minutes to lie there before turning out the light with no light in the room. 

If I turn out the light at the time I'm supposed to be asleep, I'll lie there 30 min to an hour, especially if I've had the tv or light on. 

I'm really guilty of getting sucked into a baseball game and having to turn it off.  Oh-jeez

So, go to bed at the same time. 

Get up at the same time( I havent used an alarm clock in 35 years and I never overslept for work even once. I wont be able to sleep knowing a loud annoying sound will occur at some point in my sleep----sleep has been much more restful for me because of that---body clock is on point)

Don't drink caffeine after 2

Don't nap after 2. When you're tired at that time, do something active or fun if you're able too. 

No bright clocks in the room.

Exercise in the morning. I run a mile everyday and walk another mile or so. 

Eat healthy

Dont eat right before bed

Have a prayer time( or meditation) I do mine during my run in the morning. (Its before sunrise and no one is on the roads)

I hope this helps someone!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Let's improve sleep quality! What have you done that helped you sleep better?
Rice95 that helps a lot!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Glad  I could help!!
Post Reply Post Reply
CBT-i

Such a nice App!  Thanks for mentioning it.

Because of my schedule (have to blame something), I continually violate the basic rules of a good sleep.  
Hence, don't do the things I too-often do within 2 hours of bedtime:

- eat a lot
- have a drink (alcohol)
- watch TV
- choose different hours each night
- think about any of life's problems
- worry about tomorrow's to-dos

Tips that work for me:

- several Apps play relaxing sleep sounds, without commercials, that don't need continuous wifi/data
- pen/paper near bed to write it down & forget about it for the night
- keep the bed a little cool, rather than warm with lots of blankets
- shut down all electronically transmitting devices 
- white noise
Post Reply Post Reply
I only joined this forum a week ago and have already learned so much. I now use a soft collar for positional apneas, have ordered a different mask as the bridge of my nose is wrecked (have tried the under nose ones and couldn't get used to them) and removed one of my pillows. Once I am asleep I am fine but getting off to sleep is a problem, any tips for me?

Does anyone use mask liners, it seems to be a big thing here in the UK and everyone makes or buys them. I made a couple and it does seem to help with leaks but I am not convinced 100%
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome Boxermum 

I use a DreamWear full face mask. For me it is very comfortable and reliable. It doesn't go over the nose so you never feel claustrophobic...no issues with leaks from spaces on the side of your nose to deal with etc...I've had really good success with it. I'm a mouth breather, so FFM is mandatory. 

Leaks are at a minimum and never are bad enough where they wake me. You can sleep on your side and bury your face in the pillow and it is fine--no leaking for me. 

As far as getting to sleep, read what I said earlier in this thread. It may help! One thing to add I didn't mention was that I also take 1mg of natural melatonin 15-30 min before bed. I choose a low dose and its all the brain needs. Over doing it cause lots of side effects. In the morning I feel rested so I know its all I need. I also sleep with an eye mask(as if a face mask wasn't enough smh) It's important that the room is dark. That's when your natural melatonin kicks in---otherwise sleep is really compromised. I've also found that with the eye mask, I can open my eyes and its still dark. I am never distracted by clocks or street lights from the window that illuminate the room partially. Keep distractions at a minimum. 

Good luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been eating pistachio nuts and goji berries for the melatonin before bed lolxx Doesn't seem to be working though
Post Reply Post Reply
:-)
Hang in there
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Boxermum!

I sometimes use a holistic remedy. Bach Flower Rescue Remedy It settles me down before sleep. (It has traces of alcohol in case that's a concern.)

There are other Bach Flower remedies I like...but that's where I would start.

Hope this helps.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 79 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,662 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 60 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 179 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.