Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lge leaks/lower AHI
Lge leaks/lower AHI
I've noticed recently that my large leak numbers have slowly been creeping upward from 9 to 27. The leaks do not happen every night. My ahi numbers have also been creeping upward from 0.5 to 2.5+. Do the increased leaks and higher ahi numbers always mean that the mouth is open? I've tried two different chin straps which did not work out for me. I know my sleep quality is not up to par because I am feeling really tired the next day after the large leaks. I have changed to a new hose, humidifier box and new nasal pillows, nothing seems to make much of a improvement in my fatigue level.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lge leaks/lower AHI
If you can't control the mouth leaks you may want to consider trying a hybrid mask. There are two that I know of, one is made by ResMed and the other is by Innomed. Basically they are a pillows mask that also has a seal cushion around the mouth. Nothing up on the nose bridge so they are lots more comfortable than a full face mask.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
How old are your nasal pillows? I've noticed that when mine are starting to lose their elasticity, that my leaks and AHI will start climbing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the P10 you need to make sure the inner flap on each pilllow is pushed out toward the outer flap (which rests against your nose).

See pics.

I usually just pinch each pillow to make sure the flap is in place.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put on a new set of nasal pillows, new hoses and new headgear. For the last two nights my ahi has improved from 2.5+ to 0.8 and my leak rate improved from 27 to 9L. Guess I need to pay better attention to how old my equipment is before I complain about poor results. It is almost easier to self pay for supplies than it is to argue with the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long should nasal pillows last on average, before they should be replaced?
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2016, 02:14 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I put on a new set of nasal pillows, new hoses and new headgear. For the last two nights my ahi has improved from 2.5+ to 0.8 and my leak rate improved from 27 to 9L.

When the leak rate is high the data collected, such as the AHI value, may be unreliable. Also, when you adjusted your new head gear that alone may have caused that big improvement. There's no way to tell without isolating all the variables. As the cushions age they lose some elasticity and the mask straps may have to be tightened to compensate.

(03-21-2016, 09:15 AM)Inspired Wrote: How long should nasal pillows last on average, before they should be replaced?

In the US the standards set by Medicare are largely followed by all DME's. They have a replacement schedule of every three weeks. I wonder, though, if that replacement frequency was set that high because of concerns over bacteria growth on a part that's in direct contact with a mucous membrane. It's in the best interests of the equipment providers to get that replacement schedule as high as possible, and we all know that through their lobbying efforts they can often get regulations passed that increase their profits.

My understanding is that the replacement frequency is much lower in other nations.

My experience is they they can last several months. I now use a full face mask, but it too has a removable cushion with a three week replacement recommendation. My first one lasted nine months. When I replaced it I had to loosen the headgear straps and I noticed what seemed like an almost glue-like seal on my face!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 493 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.