Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Life Span?
Life Span?
Does anyone know the average life span of a CPAP machine? Mine is almost 5 years old. Hate for it to fail and I have to find a new one during a "Holiday" weekend or something. And as pessimistic as that sounds, as a mechanic I live by two simple codes. 1 - anything mechanical WILL fail. 2 - anything electrical WILL fail. And it usually / always happens at the most inconvenient time. And I am well aware that something new out of the box can fail in 5 days, as well as something that has a life of 5 years can last 50 years. Just trying to get and average and an idea.
How To Get The Perfect Mask Fit

How important is Quality Sleep to your heart

What The Mind Can Conceive and Believe - The Body Will Achieve

Positive Attitude = Positive Results / Negative Attitude = Negative Results
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Life Span???
The machines are designed to last about 20,000 hours. Your machine should have somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 hours on it. At 5 years, it's probably getting time to look at a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're on insurance, most have it set up for a replacement every 5 years or so for the reason that Bama describes.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup. 5-6 yrs. Even then, depending on the insurance, they may not replace it simply due to age. But DMEs are usually good at smoothing those lines. Noise levels, fading display screens, etc. Not that I'm saying that's what my DME did when I my S7 reached 5.5 yrs old. Nope.

(Also, I removed the extra question marks from the subject line. Sometimes the forum software hiccups with repeating punctuation in subject lines. And whatever the forum software wants, it gets!)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Life Span?
I'd echo what the others have said. My main concern would be it's most likely way beyond warranty and if you have insurance you are likely beyond the guideline to replace your machine. Better off messing with insurance replacing it and having a backup than waiting in my mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a bad idea to keep an eye on Craigslist or similar sources for a cheap used CPAP machine while your current one is still working. I've found good deals and made great upgrades, but I had to watch CL for 3 months or so before I found good deals.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine came with a 5 year warranty and my insurance will not cover me for another in under 5 years, so I reckon 5 years is the life give or take. I know at 5 years I will just buy another machine (and claim my insurance rebate) and the current one will become the backup/travel machine. Then at 10 years, rinse and repeat.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 446 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,276 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,435 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 490 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 679 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 998 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,482 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.