Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Life expectancy for a FF mask?
Life expectancy for a FF mask?
Hello to all fellow apnea suffered,
I have a question for the experts among us regarding masks and the nature of their demise. Ive had a Resmed Airfit F10 FF mask for over a year now and its been a real pleasure to use. Comfortable, light weight and a great all-round product. However, the leakage rate from the mask has just lately (past two months) started to trend upward so that now I am regularly finding that the leakage levels exceeding 25L/m
I now know that the straps have stretched since I first bought the mask as I have very little strap adjustment left to play with. I find also that I now have to tighten the two upper straps fully so as to maintain a good seal over the bridge of my nose.
And for good measure, I have also been using home made fabric mask liners during this time as I found that these definitely helped me to achieve a good all-round seal.
So, the question I now ask, is what can we expect as a serviceable life expectancy for a mask or more specifically, its seals? Is this then an age related issue or something other that I am inadvertently overlooking?
Some of you out there have been mask users for a hell of a lot longer than Ive been and you would have tried out a variety of masks and perhaps noted how they well they lasted.
So saying, Id be very interested in hearing any constructive discussion on the issue of mask ageing and performance deterioration.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Life expectancy for a FF mask?
G'day Raypat. I use a Quattro Air which uses the same cushions as the F10 (so I believe). I've had it about 18 months now and have just changed the headgear, but I probably should have changed it a while ago. I use the Pad-a-cheek liners which last about 6 months (again, probably should change them sooner). I have three cushions which I swap around. I think they're all still quite usable because of the liners. If I wasn't using liners I think they'd probably lose their seal in six months or so.

If you're still on your first cushion after a year I'd say it's time to update, and probably also time to change the headgear. I've found both headgear and cushions on Ebay for less than half the going rate in Oz (genuine Resmed products).
Post Reply Post Reply
"If you're still on your first cushion after a year I'd say it's time to update,"
G'day mate,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I've had the same mask for over a year now and from what you are telling me it would seem that a replacement would be in order. Unfortunetly the seal spears to be bonded to the mask and cannot be removed. Will have to be a complete replacement. I have already replaced the head strap about four months back but it seems to have stretched.
My health insurance will cough up for part of the cost so at least I won't have pay the full price. Still, it's a costly business.
Thanks once again and take care.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Quattro Air (and I believe the F10 is the same) has a light plastic frame that the straps and cushion connect to. The cushion is itselfa clear plastic shell which snaps into the frame. The seal is (as you said) bonded to the cushion shell and can't be removed. The cushion shell also has the vents and the place for the elbow to snap into. You can see how it goes together here:

[Image: airfitf10forherfullfacemaskwithoutheadgear.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok Paul, I see what you mean regarding the seal. Ill contact my supplier in Brisbane to see if I can obtain just the seal. I live 200km west of Brisvagus so no local suppliers to turn to for help.
I presently use a large mask and am now wondering if going to a size smaller may help but will have to wait until I travel down to the coast again before I can check with them.
Thanks again,
Ray
Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Well here's the good news! I've trailed smaller sized mask and hey presto... My leakage rate is below 8l/m now. Seems a new seal was the answer after all. Much happier now
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news! Having the mask comfortable and not leaking is 85% of the problem in my experience.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,255 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 622 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 955 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,313 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.