Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Life is good again!
RE: Life is good again!
Thank you, everyone!

The list of issues, mental and physical, that have cleared up because of this therapy is stunning and quite remarkable to me.

I'd like to thank the folks on here who offered support in the past and especially, advice on how I could upgrade my machine; went from a "brick" to a machine that I could "grab the reigns" and take control of my therapy. To be able to tweak the settings when the need arises, that's a biggie!!

Thanks

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 07:18 AM)Stargazer Wrote: Thank you, everyone!

The list of issues, mental and physical, that have cleared up because of this therapy is stunning and quite remarkable to me.

I'd like to thank the folks on here who offered support in the past and especially, advice on how I could upgrade my machine; went from a "brick" to a machine that I could "grab the reigns" and take control of my therapy. To be able to tweak the settings when the need arises, that's a biggie!!

Thanks

Glad to hear all worked out. and Congrats that Life is Good again ! Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 02:43 PM)Stargazer Wrote: With some very minor tweaking, I am happy to say I am consistently less than 1 with AHI's each night.

I am very happy to hear about your success with CPAP, being a new CPAP patient (1 week in) I was wondering if you had any tips on what kind of tweaks you made and how long it took you to finally get a full night sleep with the machine.

I am one week in and still making tweaks, although I'm not getting a full night sleep with the machine, I am feeling a bit better than before, however I still feel "foggy". I have a pressure of 8CM and using a nasal mask (not the pillows). Not sure if I'm even hitting REM sleep throughout the night but I still keep the mask on to get my body used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow congrationlations!

I remeber after a couple of nights with the cpap i said: "This is the advantage the world had over me". It's a complete new life. So many issues resolved and so much energy to resvolve what's linguering.

Happy new life Stargazer Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Highroller, it is very early days for you, one week but you are doing well if you are noticing small changes and making the effort to consistently wear your mask.
No two people are the same, so one persons 'tweaks' may not be right for another.

Hang in there and the more experienced CPAP users will be along to offer you valuable advice that will make all the difference to your journey.

Good luck to you!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Highroller,

Glad you are doing well!

One thing in particular struck me from the CPAP class I went to on Saturday, when I got my CPAP:
It takes a while for the body to recover and start rebuilding. The damaged cells need to be replaced or repaired, the stress to the body from the micro-waking takes time to recover from, and the body and brain take time to relearn how to have restorative sleep.

The improvement starts the first night, but it takes time (days, weeks or even months for some) to fully recover and keep the good sleep going.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Highroller,

If you need assistance you may do better to begin your own thread with full information about what you are doing and specific questions or issues you are facing.

As Gabby says, it is VERY EARLY, and many people do not get dramatic improvements for weeks, months or longer even after obtaining effective treatment.

If you are adjusting your own machine (already) then recognize that there are only rough changes you can make without testing each one for about a week (or longer.)

I am notorious for taking immediately to CPAP therapy, and had already done extensive research before receiving my machine and it took me at least a week, and a lot of luck, to get my settings approximately correct -- and even now, I am fine tuning them some 9 months later.

Fill out your profile with the exact model of your machine, and the settings you are using etc., and then ask specific questions or describe the issues you are having and usually someone here will have solved that problem in the past or at least be able to suggest some things to try.

Since you don't mention your use of the machine this is perhaps THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP:

Use the machine EVERY TIME you sleep or even MIGHT SLEEP. If you like down to read or perhaps will fall asleep in your recliner watching TV then don the mask.

Make a commitment and goal to use the machine 100% of the time.

That simple (yet sometimes difficult) step is way more than half the battle.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate the feedback everyone. This forum is an amazing support group for this journey with my OSA, I really appreciate the advice from everyone.

I hope to be able to offer value in the future once I start seeing some real results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrads, happy to hear it is going well.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,111 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.