Life on the Cheap
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

Idea Life on the Cheap
USKiwi Wrote:I am saving a lot of money due to being awake and alert with energy when I get home from work and making lunch for the next day instead of buying.

I was going to reply in USKiwi's post in this thread in the Main Forum, but decided this was more off-topic and it belongs here in the Off-Topic forum.

USKiwi's post got me thinking about what my wife and I have done to save money lately. But we're always interested in learning more from others on how to be thrifty and yet live a relatively comfortable life.

Both my wife and I have been on the wonderful receiving end of what some have called "corporate downsizing". It was a shock for both of us to lose our jobs and all benefits and having to cash in my small 401k to make ends meet and pay down some debt. Now, I'm working in a "non-traditional" relatively low-paying job with no benefits, and I've learned that we really don't "need" a whole lot to survive comfortably. Packing lunches, not going out to eat, not spending a whole lot of money on what passes for "entertainment" these days... stuff can be done a whole lot cheaper if you really take time to think about it. After a while it becomes a game where you try to see how much money you can save. It's rewarding.

Some folks won't take it to the level we have, I realize. I gather free firewood from local tree cutting services and hand split all our winter firewood for our wood stove with my trusty Gransfors-Bruks splitting axe. I re-use my "disposable" CPAP filters by washing them out at least one time before replacing them (cutting my costs for filters in half). When my CPAP tubing cracks, I use electrical tape for repairs. I've been using my current nasal pillows and headgear for nearly a year now (thoroughly washing them and being gentle with them). I've used "fish antibiotics" personally because we have no health insurance. A lot of folks don't know that antibiotic pills designed for "aquarium use only" are the exact same pills that are distributed to pharmacies for human use, but they are cheaper and require no prescription. They come in the stardard human dosages - pills of 250 and 500 mg.

My wife is into couponing and we hardly ever pay more than 50% of retail price for most of our household consumables. We have a small, non-hybrid garden where we are learning to grow our own vegetables. I have a 12-volt cheap solar panel system that allows me to have limited lighting in the house for "free", plus I can power my CPAP with it. We go to yard sales and thrift stores - it's amazing what kind of stuff people just throw away or sell for pennies on the dollar, when all an item needs is a new screw or a cheap repair to become fully functional again. We live in a disposable society, and my wife and I are trying to break out of that type of thinking-- it helps the environment, plus it does wonders for our checkbook balance.

Do I feel "ashamed" that I'm over 50 and living like this? Heck no, it's a very self-satisfying way of life. We're becoming less dependent upon anyone else, any "system", "government" or "corporation". It's really a liberating feeling. Coffee

So, if times are (or have been) a bit tougher for you, what kinds of things did you do to live "life on the cheap"?

Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-16-2013 07:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
TheWerkz Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i & ClimateLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto-CPAP 11 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Life on the Cheap
SS,

If you start growing gills then DON'T be surprised! Too-funny You will have to learn to swim though.

Here's a good article from Sunday's Parade: http://www.parade.com/news/2013/01/13-ba...-year.html

Ren
01-16-2013 10:09 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

We found that if we are going to be spending money on something we need, then we aren't buying cheap crap. Cheap crap will need to be replaced and usually the multiple replacements will be more than the higher quality thing.

Like, we saved up for two years and this past summer, I got a Cub Cadet riding mower. Brand spankin' new one. For years we've been buying a used lawn mower every other summer or so. I added it all up and between having to buy so many and then keep fixing them, I had spent a ton of money.

We also spend more money on good food. Good food equals gooder diet which then equals better health which equals less doctor visits. We go to the organic place to get nearly all our meat. Yes, it's expensive. But look at bacon. We bought a pound of bacon, cooked it up, and had enough for four good sized BLTs. We had very little liquid fat left over (much to the dog's dismay). We would have had to buy a lot more than a pound and then had all that nasty grease left over, grease that we paid for in weight (in more ways than one!).

What else?? We don't go to movies. We have cheap cell phones. Our big "splurge" is our cable and internet. We don't watch the movie channels but do want the BBC and science channels. We recycle everything we can. We compost. I have a paper shredder and all the printer stuff and non-shiny paper gets shredded and used as mulch.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-16-2013 10:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(01-16-2013 10:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  We found that if we are going to be spending money on something we need, then we aren't buying cheap crap. Cheap crap will need to be replaced and usually the multiple replacements will be more than the higher quality thing.

Yep, I totally agree. For some stuff, cheap is okay, but for stuff you really need, you can continue to buy junk and replace it every two years, or buy quality stuff once and forgetaboutit.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-16-2013 11:52 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(01-16-2013 10:09 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:  Here's a good article from Sunday's Parade: http://www.parade.com/news/2013/01/13-ba...-year.html
Ren

Good find, Ren! Thanks. SHa_biggrin5

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-16-2013 11:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(01-16-2013 10:09 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:  SS,

If you start growing gills then DON'T be surprised! Too-funny You will have to learn to swim though.

Would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moonbeams home in a jar?
And be better off than you are?
Or would you rather be a fish?

A fish won't do anything but swim in a brook
He can't write his name or read a book
To fool all the people is his only thought
Though he's slippery, he still gets caught
But then if that sort of life is what you wish
You may grow up to be a fish
01-17-2013 12:12 PM