Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Like what you've done with the place, Supe!
Like what you've done with the place, Supe!
Kind of a good feng shui going on...nice and fresh, but still signs of the old place if you know where to look.

<wipes away a tear>  Our little board is all grown up!

Carl
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Like what you've done with the place, Supe!
Welcome back, Carl! It looks like it might be time for a new machine... if you get a new ResMed A10 Autoset with full data capabilities, we could all see just how well you are doing... Big Grin

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2018, 05:49 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Welcome back, Carl! It looks like it might be time for a new machine... if you get a new ResMed A10 Autoset with full data capabilities, we could all see just how well you are doing... Big Grin

Sleep-well

Well, thanks!  But you can have my S8 when you pry it from my...well, you know.

I did get an S9 years ago, with the fancy color display, heated hose, uConnect with satnav, MP3 and bluetooth audio.

At first I thought, "Say, this thing is awesome!  Can't even hear it run!"  and then I realized, it wasn't running, because it didn't have autostart.  So I verified with my DME provider.  "Yes, your S8 has autostart.  No, the S9 does not.  Yes, I guess that means they did take away a feature in the new models.  Um...well, yes, I suppose that does suck."  

So the S9 is my spare, and the S8 is still my daily driver.

The S10 looks suspiciously like an S9 to me.  If it doesn't have autostart, I'll just stick with my S8.
Post Reply Post Reply
Time to change DME Carl - your guy has given you fake news. Both the S9 and A10 series have autostart, it just needs to be turned on. (Look in the manual for "SmartStart").
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2018, 09:06 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Time to change DME Carl - your guy has given you fake news. Both the S9 and A10 series have autostart, it just needs to be turned on. (Look in the manual for "SmartStart").

Thanks for chiming in!

Your post piqued my curiosity...I am sure there was no "Smart Start" option on the user menu...so I did some research.  Turns out, what my DME should have told me was, "The S9 does have SmartStart, but it's disabled in your case, because you're using a Mirage Full mask." 

I did change masks soon afterwards, but since I had already packed up the S9, I never figured it out.  I suppose I could have re-enabled it through the clinician menu, or maybe tried a different mask setting.

I have to say that the speed with which this minor issue was addressed is impressive.  The number of folks who have been given their lives back thanks to improved biomedical technology and virtually instantaneous information sharing must be growing exponentially.  Seems like a much brighter future for OSA sufferers.

Carl
Post Reply Post Reply
HEY, it's CARL... !!!  Thumbs-up-2

Folks - Carl was our very FIRST Apnea Board Moderator (way back in 2004 or so when we were on Ezboards, I think).

Carl, pretty sure you were here when our forum "crashed & burned" on Ezboards in 2005 and we had to rebuild and move to Zetaboards, right... or did you join right after that?

Hope all is well with you my friend.  REALLY good to see you here.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Supe!  

Great to see you too.  Thanks for the warm welcome, and yep, everything is just fine.  So nice to know you still keep a hand in!

Yes, sir, I was there for ezboard, the crash, and the move to Zetaboards.  You anointed me on May 27, 2004, and man, were we busy, with one administrator and one mod! 

Since then, I really got my life back.  In 2005 I canceled my application for SSDI, got a new career that I love, and I'm halfway to retirement.  <knocks wood> Crazy, huh?

Anyway, I'll do mah best not to be such a stranger.  Crazy as it may sound, I guess it's because CPAP has been such an integral part of my life for so long, I don't really think about it much anymore.

Carl
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2018, 04:21 PM)ConnCarl Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 09:06 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Time to change DME Carl - your guy has given you fake news. Both the S9 and A10 series have autostart, it just needs to be turned on. (Look in the manual for "SmartStart").

Thanks for chiming in!

Your post piqued my curiosity...I am sure there was no "Smart Start" option on the user menu...so I did some research.  Turns out, what my DME should have told me was, "The S9 does have SmartStart, but it's disabled in your case, because you're using a Mirage Full mask." 

I did change masks soon afterwards, but since I had already packed up the S9, I never figured it out.  I suppose I could have re-enabled it through the clinician menu, or maybe tried a different mask setting.

I have to say that the speed with which this minor issue was addressed is impressive.  The number of folks who have been given their lives back thanks to improved biomedical technology and virtually instantaneous information sharing must be growing exponentially.  Seems like a much brighter future for OSA sufferers.

Carl

climb into technician menu, disable "leak detect" and smart start will work, simple....well, it works on my S9 and stops if i turn on leak detect
Post Reply Post Reply
It's great to see an old contributor return to the forum. I originally joined Apnea Board because I needed HELP! It was duly provided and the last two and a half years have been a massive learning curve. I now have my therapy well and truly under control and it's rare that I go over 1.0 AHI. In this respect, I no longer need the forum but I have stayed.

Others get to this point and just drift off never to be heard from again which is why the return of Carl is an event to be celebrated. I stick around because I believe I occasionally have something pertinent to add to discussions.

Welcome back Carl!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2018, 03:14 AM)matthewb Wrote: <snip>

climb into technician menu, disable "leak detect" and smart start will work, simple....well, it works on my S9 and stops if i turn on leak detect

Thanks for the tip, Matthew!  I'll check it out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] New to cpap my apnea events are all over the place can someone help me? LiquidOcelot 13 1,280 06-27-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  OT: best place to buy a home based EKG 12 lead machine for home use snorin2 0 353 03-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Cheapest place to buy mask cushions (in U.S.)? newmar 4 722 12-09-2022, 08:52 PM
Last Post: newmar
  ? read some place the Airsence 11 has its data encrypted ger365 2 928 08-10-2021, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ger365
  AHI all over the place and major leakage problem Dharmachef 7 993 07-14-2021, 08:08 PM
Last Post: jlfinkels
  A Place Like No Other mesenteria 3 674 05-17-2021, 04:54 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.