Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lincare won't listen to me-Mask problems
RE: Lincare won't listen to me-Mask problems
(12-09-2014, 08:17 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Unless the doc wrote in the script "Dispense as written", yes, she can give you whatever mask you want to try. Usually the prescription is for a mask.

Don't wait until next week. Call the doc now. Say you would like to try a different mask but the DME won't let you. Say you would like to be compliant but cannot because of the mask. That the supplier is the one not being compliant. Have them write you a new script for a CPAP mask, no specifics.

Think of the CPAP and mask as a medication. They work together. We users need to stop seeing our stuff as devices like crutches and slings. They are much more than that.

I can do that with the net suppliers. Get any mask I want on a just "mask" or even it says FFM etc.

But on Medicare the types of masks have different codes. From FFM to Nasal. To get my DME to change to nasal the doc had to write a script for Nasal because they could not bill for it without that mask code being scripted.
Now I do know there are different mask codes. If the DME is just covering all the bases I dont know. But now for a year I can get either nasal FFM or TFM or pillows because of what I was started with and now changed too.

But as I said my DME may just be covering their bases just in case something changes down the road with Medicare as it sometimes does.

Post Reply Post Reply
heyheyrayray,

There is a trick that works for some on Mirage Quattro masks to cure nose irritation. I think that the F10 cushion is similar in design to the Mirage Quattro cushion at least it looks that way on their web site. The flexible silicone seal material is backed up in some areas (mostly the cheek area) by a stiffer silicone. The 2 silicone stiffeners end up towards the top of the mask before they would meet if they were continued further. The edge where the stiffener ends seems to cause the problem.

The fix is to move this ending edge (of the stiffener) further back by cutting away 1/8" or less of material behind the ending edge thus moving the ending edge back by 1/8" or less. This must be done very carefully so that no damage is done to the flexible seal material. This will reduce the pressure on the skin of your nose and has worked for at least one forum member to combat the raw skin problem on their nose.

Another of our excellent forum members ( I would give credit by naming the people involved but i am old and can't remember CRAP) had an alternative solution. Lets see now what was my name.......Oh I've got it it is Galactus........no that does not sound right. Oh well I will look it up and get back to you. It involves getting some of the flat cotton circles at the drug store. Cut in half and place one half over the bridge of your nose where the top of the mask seal goes. If it causes leakage separate the cotton layers and thin it down until no more leaks. This should also help in trying to get your nose to heal.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have US Medicare and my script has always just said mask per user or similar. Never a particular mask. I'll have to ask my doc if she got anything from them to change the script when I changed to a FFM.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the information and welcomes!! I just wanted to report that I went ahead and bought the Resmed Airfit p10 Nasal Pillows mask from and online company and used it last night WITHOUT a chin strap and LOVED it. I move around a lot in my sleep and this was SO much better for me than the FFM as far as that goes and obviously no skin breaking on the sides of my nose. I did wake up with a headache though and I'm researching that right now, i'm hoping my neti pot can clear out my sinuses if its just a sinus blockage problem. Either way, I just wanted to thank you guys for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my opinion Lincare here in New Hampshire was horrible, slow, demeaning and rude to deal with. I dropped them and I buy all my supplies and machine from DirectHomeMedical in Hudson, NH. I have BC/BS and since DHM is an out of network supplier BC/BS only pays 65% but the 35% leftover is still cheaper than the 20% left on a Lincare purchase and I get to try what I want (30 day return policy on masks). Plus, as a self employed individual I can write off all that OOP expense. I'd never go back to Lincare.

I'm excited as I just ordered a Soclean2 from DHM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 11:24 AM)bill-e Wrote: In my opinion Lincare here in New Hampshire was horrible, slow, demeaning and rude to deal with. I dropped them and I buy all my supplies and machine from DirectHomeMedical in Hudson, NH. I have BC/BS and since DHM is an out of network supplier BC/BS only pays 65% but the 35% leftover is still cheaper than the 20% left on a Lincare purchase and I get to try what I want (30 day return policy on masks). Plus, as a self employed individual I can write off all that OOP expense. I'd never go back to Lincare.

I'm excited as I just ordered a Soclean2 from DHM.
We seem to have similar problems in New Jersey with Lincare. I now use a BiPap (pressure 6/13, need to update my profile) with a Quattro FX. Lincare did a good job setting me up and getting the straps adjusted, but they leave much to be desired for replacement supplies.

1) The original hose was made by Respironics and was very flexible. I bought one of those cutout CPAP pillows so I could sleep either on my back or side and it worked well until Lincare told me it was time to replace the hose. The replacement was much stiffer than the original Huhsign and it moved the mask whenever I moved. After one miserable night, I called Lincare and advised them that the hose was unusable and that I needed one like the original. They acted like I was speaking an unknown language and replied that "the warehouse" now only stocked the hoses from a "new supplier." When I finally got them to understand that I can not use a stiff hose, they advised me that if I wanted the original hose, they could special order it for me, but that I would have to pay the full cost because they had already billed Medicare for the crappy hose sent to me. It was MUCH cheaper to buy one online and it was exactly the same as the original. I guess the knockoff was more profitable.

When I asked Lincare to update their database so I would get the correct hose in the future, I got transferred several times to different people (to whom I had to explain why the crappy hose could not be used) and realized that they had no intention of supplying the correct hose.

2) Yesterday, I received the replacement head straps. I attempted to adjust the straps and realized that they sent the wrong size. Huhsign I suppose I should have carefully read the package before opening it and attaching the straps to the mask but I assumed that the correct size would have been sent by Lincare. I do not look forward to calling Lincare next week. In the meantime, I will but the old straps on the new mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
I should have ditched Lincare in the beginning and listed to my intuition! They are a horrible DME. I eventually bought from an online dme and got the sleepweaver advance, which I absolutely love. I never would have gotten Lincare to order that mask for me, had to take matters into my own hands!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2015, 09:59 AM)heyheyrayray Wrote: I should have ditched Lincare in the beginning and listed to my intuition! They are a horrible DME. I eventually bought from an online dme and got the sleepweaver advance, which I absolutely love. I never would have gotten Lincare to order that mask for me, had to take matters into my own hands!

heyheyrayray,
Just wondering... Do you switch off and on between the P10 Nasal Pillow mask and the Sleepweaver? What works best for you? I ask because I use the P10, but am looking for a backup mask to give nose a break.
Glad you got straightened out with DME. I've had my share of problems with a local DME in my area too. Oh-jeez
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I've just switched completely to the Sleepweaver Advance (guess i should update my profile ha). I seriously love it. I sleep in a weird position.. like half on my stomach have on my side, sleepweaver is the only mask that lets me do that.

There is a learning curve with the sleepweaver, it took me a good 2 weeks to figure out how to stop the leaks but I'm glad I stuck with it. I won't use any other mask..unless they somehow come out with an invisible mask? Smile

(02-16-2015, 01:08 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(02-16-2015, 09:59 AM)heyheyrayray Wrote: I should have ditched Lincare in the beginning and listed to my intuition! They are a horrible DME. I eventually bought from an online dme and got the sleepweaver advance, which I absolutely love. I never would have gotten Lincare to order that mask for me, had to take matters into my own hands!

heyheyrayray,
Just wondering... Do you switch off and on between the P10 Nasal Pillow mask and the Sleepweaver? What works best for you? I ask because I use the P10, but am looking for a backup mask to give nose a break.
Glad you got straightened out with DME. I've had my share of problems with a local DME in my area too. Oh-jeez
OpalRose

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a reminder to you folks with Medicare. If your Medicare supplier is giving you crap, be sure to lay in a claim to Medicare. Nothing changes unless people call them on their poor customer service.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 58 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 347 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,172 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 227 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,923 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,650 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 1,036 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.