Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lingering fatigue: trust Resmed sleep report?
RE: Lingering fatigue: trust Resmed sleep report?
(08-14-2019, 10:14 AM)gcritchley Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 09:56 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I don't see anything that stands out, although your minute vent and tidal volume figures at the median level are less than my own.  
 just considering the above - do you know what these two figures mean and how they are arrived at, and how to get them lower?

Tidal Volume represents the amount of air you inhale or exhale with each breath.  If you multiply that by the number of breaths you take every minute (respiratory rate), you get Minute Ventilation (or minute volume, depending on who you ask).  

Mesenteria was noting that yours seems low, so you wouldn’t be looking to lower it even more.  The implication is that you MIGHT be breathing very slowly or taking very shallow breaths, which could lead to low oxygen saturation levels and morning headaches or daytime fatigue, among other things.  There is a range (like for all other measurements) that would be considered normal, with the typical range being between 5-8 liters for Minute Ventilation while resting.  Lots of clear airway events could be one cause also, since that could result in a lower respiration rate.

I am absolutely not commenting on your situation, since I am definitely not an expert on these things - just wanted to pass on the definitions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just looked at your OSCAR report - your respiration rate is higher than normal and your tidal volume is lower, so it looks like you are breathing quickly, but taking very shallow breaths.

Neither one is hugely out of whack though, so I doubt it is something to worry about.  Normal respiration would be 14-18, and tidal volume would be around 500ml.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2019, 11:29 AM)WhyMe Wrote: I just looked at your OSCAR report - your respiration rate is higher than normal and your tidal volume is lower, so it looks like you are breathing quickly, but taking very shallow breaths.

Neither one is hugely out of whack though, so I doubt it is something to worry about.  Normal respiration would be 14-18, and tidal volume would be around 500ml.

thanks for that - what would one do to remedy this if it gets worse?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2019, 11:35 AM)gcritchley Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 11:29 AM)WhyMe Wrote: I just looked at your OSCAR report - your respiration rate is higher than normal and your tidal volume is lower, so it looks like you are breathing quickly, but taking very shallow breaths.

thanks for that - what would one do to remedy this if it gets worse?

I don’t mean to sound trite, but it would depend on what was causing the problem, so if It were me, I would probably go see my doctor if I thought I had a problem.  Remember though, normal for you may not be the same as the so-called normal range.  For example, my resting heart rate is low enough to count as bradycardia, but it is not causing any real problem for me even though it is well outside the “normal” range.

I’m sure one of the long-time experts here will have better info for you though.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 500 ml normal value is for a 5'10'' man. You need to adjust the value for your height. The normal value per kg (ideal weight) is 6 or 7 ml/kg. There are charts on the internet to find the value fitting your height.

For instance, I'm 5'8'' and my expected tidal value is 410 ml which match the value I'm getting on Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2019, 11:53 AM)alexp Wrote: The 500 ml normal value is for a 5'10'' man. You need to adjust the value for your height. The normal value per kg (ideal weight) is 6 or 7 ml/kg. There are charts on the internet to find the value fitting your height.

For instance, I'm 5'8'' and my expected tidal value is 410 ml which match the value I'm getting on Oscar.

I'm 5'10" - my tidal volume is often (max) in the 700/800's - what can be done about that? wondering if this is the issue.

I don't have a sleep doc I'm working with - The one that did the sleep study said I don't even need to treat...but i bought my machine used, and tweaked it myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are RERAs caused by the same obstructive opening issue as sleep apnea. I've been on mine 2 years, and have a lot of RERAs, but low AHI. Pressure was just raised, which is making my leak rate super high, and my tiredness is getting worse......
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2019, 12:32 PM)theres126 Wrote: Are RERAs caused by the same obstructive opening issue as sleep apnea. I've been on mine 2 years, and have a lot of RERAs, but low AHI. Pressure was just raised, which is making my leak rate super high, and my tiredness is getting worse......

Hi there126 - a quote found online - A RERA is an event characterized by increasing respiratory effort for 10 seconds or longer leading to an arousal from sleep but one that does not fulfill the criteria for a hypopnea or apnea.

..so yes, RERAs could definitely cause fatigue. May I suggest you start a thread on that topic? I want to make sure my thread stays focused on my OP if possible. That would also help others with that thread being more easily searchable - thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
looking at these your three general views of your graphs, I strongly suspect you are in serious  trouble with Flow Limitation, causing great sleep disruptions and awekenings. Could you plot some 2-min details during increased pressures, just to make sure is that?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2019, 01:58 PM)mper6794 Wrote: Hi,
looking at these your three general views of your graphs, I strongly suspect you are in serious  trouble with Flow Limitation, causing great sleep disruptions and awekenings. Could you plot some 2-min details during increased pressures, just to make sure is that?

sure, coming in a moment - thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 43 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 184 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 581 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 173 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 176 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.