Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Link between pressure setting and periodic breathing?
Link between pressure setting and periodic breathing?
Is there any link between the periodic breathing percentage reported and the pressure setting? I have a Phillips DreamStation and I’ve tried increasing the minimum pressure lately because I’ve been having trouble since getting COVID in January. I’ve noticed an upward trend in periodic breathing and have wondered if the two are connected

I originally posted this on Reddit, and the advice I got was to try posting here.

Thanks,
Daryl
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Link between pressure setting and periodic breathing?
Welcome to Apnea Board!
A high pressure could trigger period breathing.  I've also noticed the use of AFlex, especially set to 3 sometimes coincides with PB.  There could be other reasons, but we would be guessing without seeing some data.  

Could you post a Screenshot of the daily page in OSCAR?  There's a link in my signature line on organizing your chart.  Use the Attachment Feature to post a chart here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose.  See attached for an example of a "typical bad night" and also the worst night I've seen lately.

Post Reply Post Reply
Daryl,
How long have you been on Cpap?  I am curious if the Clear Airway events are typical.
Can you post a "Statistics Page" from OSCAR?  That would show us some history of settings and events.

Also, it would be helpful if you have a copy if your sleep study and post it here, redacted of personal information.

Thanks!
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP just over 2 years, and I've seen my reported periodic breathing % increase over the last few months.  Clear airway event frequency doesn't seem to be out of the range of normal.  Unfortunately I never got a copy of my sleep study.  My doctor told me that I have mild sleep apnea, and I'm exhausted all the time even when I am using my CPAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your charts mostly show Hypopnea and Reras. You could try to move your minimum pressure up to 9cm to try and keep ahead of that. Keep AFlex at 2.

The Reras are known to cause mini arousals all night, even if you don't remember.

There is also evidence of "Positional Apnea". See your graph where the events are clumped together. Can you tell us how you sleep? If on your back, try to sleep on your side, preferably the right side.

What may be happening is that you are tucking your chin/neck into your chest.
This could cut off your air supply, and may be a cause of the Periodic Breathing.

A " soft" cervical collar has helped many overcome this. Also, using a thinner pillow helps.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the suggestions - I really appreciate it. I haven't known what to look for with the OSCAR data, and it's been a struggle for years to figure out why I struggle to wake up feeling rested.

I try to sleep on my side, but sometimes end up on my back. I started having trouble with acid reflux during the pandemic so I've been sleeping on a wedge. I'll try experimenting with wedge vs no wedge, cervical collar, and pillow type and see what happens. I frequently have clumped events so I'll see if I can figure out what's going on with that. I've thought about pointing a camera at myself at night so I can go back and see what was happening when I had events.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2022, 08:50 PM)daryl314 Wrote: I've thought about pointing a camera at myself at night so I can go back and see what was happening when I had events.

That's not a bad idea. Others have done it. I think it would be an eye opener.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,150 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 155 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,187 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.