Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Linux: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Mint 19
Howdy folks,

I'm going to be building a new desktop PC soon (my current desktop is over 7 years old and is becoming a bit unstable), so I'm wishing to touch base with the collective wisdom of our members (or at least those who tend to be computer geeks).

For the operating system, I'm definitely going to use some flavor of Linux.

I'm leaning towards either:

1) Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (newly released)

or

2) Mint 19 (scheduled to be released very soon-- May/June 2018)

I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the Gnome desktop, so I do want to stick to a distro with LTS, just because I want stability and not having to upgrade often.

My main question for all the geeks here is:

Which should I go with in your opinion-- Linux Mint 19 or Ubuntu 18.04 ??

I'm planning on building a PC with a newer motherboard (Intel chipset & processor-- perhaps Core i7), 2 TB hard drive, 16 GB RAM.

My main usages are basic office/type functions, web browsing, email, FTP, video/audio editing (although not much) and a few basic command-line apps for working with remote systems - ie SSH, etc.  Just the standard stuff, nothing fancy, but I do need the ability to run several apps concurrently so I can multi-task without degrading system performance too much.  I would like to get a fast enough system that should I decide to do some additional tasks, I'll have that capacity in the future without having to upgrade stuff.

I'm not a newbie to Linux, and I know Mint makes the transition from Windows less painful for Windows users.  But I'm not overly concerned about that part - but I have heard that there are other advantages of  using Mint over Ubuntu... but I'm not sure what those advantages are.  Also heard that Mint is less bloated than Ubuntu, eventhough Mint is based upon Ubuntu.  Several videos are out there of course, but I value the group here more than some dude on YouTube - where there are opinions on both sides.

Anyone have any insight or opinions on the benefits/negatives of either one of these distributions?

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Wow, that's like comparing Plymouth and Dodge.  I use Mint but that's because I like my menu on the bottom and a rather simplistic layout.  You can't go wrong with either.  Since you are already familiar with and like the Gnome layout, why bother changing?  

While you're waiting for the new stuff, you could download the Cinnamon desktop and play with it now to see if "floats your boat".
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only recently started a Linux system (haven't touched that OS since it was UNIX), and chose Mint because I intended to use FreeNAS (but the system wasn't capable so I'm just dabbling for now). However, what I've read recently and seen on YouBoob about shortcomings, bloat, and missing pieces in the Ubuntu distro (requiring troubleshooting, searching, and installing components) has me locked into Mint.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, Ubuntu and Mint are both based on Debian - so why not go with the Mother Lode? Debian is a little more conservative than Ubuntu or Mint, but security updates are prompt, and every couple of years you can do dist-upgrade when a new major version is released - no new install unless you really want to.
By a little more conservative, I mean they don't jump on new subsystems (like Pulse Audio) until they really work. If you need something really new, there is the 'testing' repository, (but don't add it until you've set the current stable name as your Preferred-Release in the conf file!)
I do run Ubuntu LTS on a laptop, because some apps do get updated there faster, and Debian testing can have confusing dependencies sometimes, especially just before a new major release. But overall, I run Debian Stretch on my desktop and my server.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks folks.  Will do more investigation.  Hope to be ordering parts this week, so I have a bit of time to decide on the OS.

Red- regarding Cinnamon desktop, I installed it on my dad's Linux box I built for him, and he likes it a lot.  Pretty basic, but fully functional and stable, and much like Windoze, which he was used to.

Phil - I'm more of an "appliance operator" (as we used to say in the ham radio world)... so I'm not sure if a pure Debian environment is what I want or not, but perhaps I can give it a whirl.

I may end up installing Ubuntu, Debian and Mint on separate partitions, just to try them out, then wipe the whole drive to install whichever of them I prefer after a bit of testing.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Well, I ordered my PC parts.  Man oh man, I was thinking that I could get by a lot cheaper than this (don't ask, my credit card is groaning under the stress).  But it had to be done.

Ended up ordering an Intel i5 processor and 8 GB of Ram and some cheaper parts that had pretty good reviews.

Now it would be cool if Mint 19 would be released this week... Thinking-about   (get it?  Cool... mint... yeah, I crack myself up sometimes)... Dielaughing 

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Rumor has it that the credit card company just put you on their Christmas card list.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well... at least I have my nice shiny new LG Monitor already (thanks to some kind friends I have) and it will undoubtedly play nice in the sandbox with the other PC parts, and that's one expense that won't contribute to the stress on my credit card.

Grin
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Ubuntu Mate on my work laptop. Seems a little lighter then Mint.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I was just reading the Mint 19 update blog.  Knowing that most of us desire anonymity,  I see where 18.04 LTS sends usage reports back to the mother ship, whereas, Mint 19 has deleted this feature.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux system question Crimson Nape 4 548 04-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Linux kernel upgrade ideas requested Crimson Nape 8 752 09-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1