Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Linux: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Mint 19
RE: Linux: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Mint 19
Another reason to like Mint 19, I guess.   Happy Eyes
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Mint 19 beta is now out. The gold version should be out after the 18th.
Download link: https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=32
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the heads-up, Red.

I decided to stick with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and I'm using the Cinnamon desktop.  So far I'm very pleased with it.  Just couldn't wait until Mint came out since I had to get my build completed and running for my work.

I'm just wondering what advantages Mint has over Ubuntu at this point in time... Thinking-about   I know it doesn't "phone home", but I'm pretty sure I have that "feature" turned off in Ubuntu anyway.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Linux Mint 19 is now gold.  Here are some changes:
  • Cinnamon 3.8 has a sleek new look with retouched icons
  • New welcome screen
  • Timeshift backup tool is now integrated with Update Manager
  • Update Manager doesn’t show update level by default
  • Revamped software manager with faster search
  • You can configure the maximum volume anywhere between 0 and 150
  • PDF Editor got improvements with custom thumbnails size and recently viewed documents
  • File Manager has faster search
  • Mint 19 overall has faster experience thanks to the changes made to improve application load time
  • Improved HiDPI support
  • No KDE Edition
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and just installed Cinnamon 3.8 about a week ago.  Love Cinnamon 3.8, seems stable and cool to use with many nice features.

The only thing I'm noticing is that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is a bit slower in app start-up than when I was running 16.04 LTS (and that's on a newer PC with faster processor and more RAM)

Not a deal-killer, but it's noticeably slower.  Once apps are running, everything is A-OK, but just takes a bit to get 'em goin'.

Probably would have gone with Mint 19, but I needed to get my new box up and running and didn't want to wait the additional 3 weeks without having my new PC up and running.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(07-01-2018, 08:37 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: [*]You can configure the maximum volume anywhere between 0 and 150

Ah shucks. My amp only goes to 11.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2018, 04:01 PM)AlanE Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 08:37 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: [*]You can configure the maximum volume anywhere between 0 and 150
[*]

Ah shucks. My amp only goes to 11.
[*]

Apology-2
       Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used Xubuntu for years with good luck. It's basically stripped down Ubuntu with the Xfce DE. Runs smooth as butter without the added bloat. Cinnamon and MATE are pretty sweet though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux system question Crimson Nape 4 549 04-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Linux kernel upgrade ideas requested Crimson Nape 8 756 09-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.