Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lip Leak
Lip Leak
The settings on my Remstar Auto A flex are 10.5 and 8. I would like to gradually adjust the settings on my machine to address lip leaks that are driving me crazy. I have tried the usual sealing of my mouth cavity with my tongue, chin strap etc. but I get the odd leak that makes it tough to fall asleep.

Do I adjust the upper or lower setting and in which direction?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lip Leak
(04-27-2016, 06:48 PM)dozydave Wrote: The settings on my Remstar Auto A flex are 10.5 and 8. I would like to gradually adjust the settings on my machine to address lip leaks that are driving me crazy. I have tried the usual sealing of my mouth cavity with my tongue, chin strap etc. but I get the odd leak that makes it tough to fall asleep.

Do I adjust the upper or lower setting and in which direction?

Try the older Respironics Premium Chip Strap, the wide white one and not the newer black one, across your mouth and around your head instead of under your chin and over your head. It is porous enough to let you breath if you need to, but will prevent your lips from opening to blow out - hopefully. Others have reported it works.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 06:48 PM)dozydave Wrote: The settings on my Remstar Auto A flex are 10.5 and 8. I would like to gradually adjust the settings on my machine to address lip leaks that are driving me crazy.

I assume you mean 10.5 is the maximum pressure and 8 is the minimum? If you lower the maximum trying to fix the leaking, you will likely increase the number of apneas and hypopneas. Not a good idea.

It is a much better idea to switch to a full face mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a chin strap called the PAPCap that is designed to work specifically for lip leaking. It does a good job of it. Check it out.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Pur-Sleep

And I doubt changing the pressure will make any difference in the lip leaking. It will only make a difference in your sleep quality.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
like +1. I will not go on my normal pressure versus leaks rant.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 43 4 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 61 10 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 56 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 611 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 390 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 536 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.