Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lip leaks
RE: Lip leaks
As I had said in my OP, I cannot use a FFM. I have tried in the past.

I am not opening my mouth at all, actually. The higher pressures is causing air to escape from my lips. Entertains the dogs and the cat, irritates the significant other. LOL

My allergies and colds have never stopped me from using my nasal pillows either, thank gawd. I use a nasal rinse if needed and sleep like a baby Paula. But as soon as I wake up and take off the mask, instant clog. Price I have to pay to sleep I reckon.

I looked at the data on SleepyHead and the leaks were practically non existent but boy howdee did I snore! Yet the AHI was 1.7 so I'm cool with that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know this sounds weird but it works for me. I take Listerine Breath Strips and tear them in half and place them on my moistened lips just before sleeping. This forms a seal that stops the leak but lets you open your mouth in an emergency.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thought I would give an update. The Ruby-Style chinstrap is working great. No lip fluttering at all and leaks have dropped significantly. My AHI for the most part has dropped as well but still have the occasional day of AHI above 4. I think it is time I started a sleep diary. I'm also doing some medication changes so that's not helping either.

I did stop using it for a few nights, just to see if there would be any difference. There was. I have bruises from the Elbow Alarm.

"Get up and put your wrestling thing on so I can sleep."

I also tried to put the mask on first and the chin strap on top of it. Oh, that wasn't a good idea. I don't remember doing it but I was told I got up, said some colorful words, ripped it all off and put it back on again. And I scared the dogs in the process.

I am concerned, though, about this summer. That thing is going to get hot.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 08:19 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: "Get up and put your wrestling thing on so I can sleep."

Too-funny Hahaha. Too funny.

So now we have proof that you were mouth-leaking. Which means it's possible there were times when you were having obstructive apneas that lasted longer and caused arousals. You monitor your O2 level, don't you? It would be interesting to compare and see if your lowest levels are now higher with the chin strap.

Quote:I am concerned, though, about this summer. That thing is going to get hot.

Good reason to buy an air conditioner. The new ones are smaller and quieter and don't take up a window.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We think the mouth leaking only started after I raised the max pressure to 20. Prior to that, we don't think I was. There was a difference because before, I'd arrange the mask, and the noise would stop. This was the Breeze or the Swift LT.

The chin strap stopped all that. The Nuance stays in place fairly well, even more so now with the chin strap. I think because it doesn't move against the other straps vs sliding on my hair.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 282 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.