Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lip leaks
RE: Lip leaks
I have super sensitive skin. Adhesives either cause blistering while still on or, when removed, they take several layers of skin with it, causing intense swelling, itching, and even bleeding. I can wear band-aids on less sensitive areas like my fingers, but not like the back of my hand. There is no way I could put anything adhesive on my face. Which is why I said in my original post that taping was not an option.

But thank you for mentioning it. Hopefully someone else reading this thread can benefit from your suggestion. I know others here have used them, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2014, 12:18 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And holy crap, there's a lot of chin straps. When did that happen?

There are types with all kinds of elaborate straps designed to keep them on regardless of how much you toss and turn. The one I had made me feel like I was ready for a wrestling match.

I now use the ResMed Sulivan. It's a single strap and it stays on pretty well. I put my mask on over top of it, which helps keep it in place. Some of them cover the ears, which I don't think I'd like.

JJJ had to get a custom chin strap made!

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just ordered the Ruby-like one from Supplier #1. Also ordered the hose brush and some filters while I was at it. I looked at the ones where the chin part seemed to come up high enough to maybe push up my bottom lip.

We'll see.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had people suggest I stuff a sock in my mouth, but that didn't have anything to do with leaks.
Rolleyes

If you are sleeping on your back more these days, gravity could be pulling your tongue out of the proper position when you lose voluntary muscle control. Staying off of your back might be the solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
It gives the term "blabber mouth" a whole new meaning. Too-funny

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My chin strap came today. No instructions whatsoever so it took me a while to figure out which way was up. When I put it on, I feel like I am biting my lip so I need to figure out which strap needs the extension.

We decided I looked like a wrestler.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
You don't happen to have a whitening tray, do you? That can help train your teeth not to bite.

Weird that there are no instructions. Did you check youtube?
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
As a member of the 'lip flutter' folks, I finally gave up on nasal masks. I'm wearing a CareFusion PureSom Ultra Chinstrap under my F&P Simplus ffm harness. That works fairly well as long as I keep the maximum pressure at 14 or lower to avoid aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put the extensions on then loosened them enough that my bottom lip wasn't being pushed so far up.

And I know one night is not a trend, but I had an AHI of 1.7. The lowest I've had in months. I woke up exhausted so the AHI surprised me. My sleep has been really disrupted lately and I think it has caught up with me.

It was the quietest night I've had in forever.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't completely discount the idea of a FFM down the road. FFM's have really improved recently (much less bulk).

Not having to worry about your mouth coming open. Not having to worry about getting a cold or allergy season.

I have many patients that use a nasal option 95% of the time but like having the FFM available for when they do get that occasional cold.

I also have many patients that were not able to tolerate a FFM when they are new to PAP, but now that they've been on it for awhile they easily make the transition to a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.