Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Little help needed
Little help needed
I am a new user and need some help. I have had three sleep studies done in the last 2 months. I have severe sleep apnea and need a BiPap Auto SV unit. The sleep lab I am working with is terrible. They never return your calls and I have no idea what my pressures are supposed to be. They are quick to set-up the study and horrible about the results. I have never seen the doctor but she recommended a Respironics BiPap AutoSv and they are willing to sell it to me for 6K. My insurance will cover it but my Co-Pay came out at about $1600. Since I could not afford either option at this time I am borrowing a unit from a friend. The Lab will visit with me in 2 weeks to discuss my results and give me the setting or so they say. But I need sleep now! My question for you experts . . . Do I have to have the recommended settings to get started? I thought the purpose of the Respironics BiPap AutoSv was that it adjusted itself using an algorithm. Any help would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Little help needed
Where are you that you have such a slack-behind sleep lab?
They may be miff'ed that you're not buying their overpriced machine.
(Not that it isn't worth it -- just that their profit margin is so high as to be: unjust enrichment.

Before I forget, insist on copies of the sleep study report.

I think it necessary to have sleep study results to setup and ASV.

There are 3 pressures for an ASV. One could perhaps set the min-EPAP and max-IPAP to an open range. But, then there's the third pressure which is the overpressure to force air in to ventilate you during a central apnea event. That should come from the study.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in Houston. They do not know that I am not buying their machine -yet. There is a doctor on the company website - but I have never seen or heard anything from her.

Thank you for the help. I am totally new to this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Superdot5, you are entitled to the sleep study results and prescription. The list price for that machine is $3500 and discounts are available, and through the "lightly used" market It should come in considerably less than your cost with insurance. Unfortunately you're being jerked around by your DME provider.

Let's get down to it. You asked if your setting are correct. We have nothing to work with here. Obviously you should start with your prescription settings. By law you are entitled to copy of that prescription. If you don't have it, get it. We can help you setup the machine, review the machine data and help you judge the efficacy and make adjustments.

What machine model did you borrow? 3 digit number on the bottom like 960P, or 950P.
Get the Sleepyhead software and extract the files to your computer hard drive. http://sleepfiles.com/SH/index.html?TestingVersions

Learn how to post therapy details, and post them to the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, this is the better SleepyHead link: (the other is for testing builds and a new user may not want to get involved in that)
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH/

And this is how to do attachments to this forum: (the link provided above is a little overkill for what this forum can do)
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi superdot5,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you're having such bad treatment from your sleep lab.
In spite of that, I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 09:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Actually, this is the better SleepyHead link: (the other is for testing builds and a new user may not want to get involved in that)

And this is how to do attachments to this forum: (the link provided above is a little overkill for what this forum can do)

I respectfully disagree. JediMark is very conservative in his warnings about the beta version, but it is the only one that works with current Resmet Airsense machines and some others. In all the time using it, there have been no critical bugs, but some weird labels. It fixes a lot of problems of the so called stable version. I would only use the non testing version if this one failed to run. I am aware of many more problems with the old version.

I'll also disagree that posting data as an attachment is a good idea. The resolution is very limited and can make the file unreadable. While there are advantages to hosting images on the forum, the limitations make this approach better. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 10:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(02-21-2015, 09:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Actually, this is the better SleepyHead link: (the other is for testing builds and a new user may not want to get involved in that)

I respectfully disagree. JediMark is very conservative in his warnings about the beta version, but it is the only one that works with current Resmet Airsense machines and some others. In all the time using it, there have been no critical bugs, but some weird labels. It fixes a lot of problems of the so called stable version. I would only use the non testing version if this one failed to run. I am aware of many more problems with the old version.

I'll also disagree that posting data as an attachment is a good idea. The resolution is very limited and can make the file unreadable. While there are advantages to hosting images on the forum, the limitations make this approach better. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

I agree. The Testing Version 0.9.8-1 works better and is adequately tested at this point in time.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well . . . I have the prescription but not exactly sure what all of this means. The unit I am borrowing is a older Respironics BiPap AutoSV model (1038917). This unit may not have all of the setting per my prescription. Will this unit work?
The unit shows:
IPAP Max
IPAP Min
EPAP

The prescription reads: Max EPAP 15 Min EPAP 4 Max PS 20 Min PS 0 Max pressure 29 Timed Insp 1.5 Rate 8

Yep. . . This is greek to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2015, 10:50 PM)superdot5 Wrote: Well . . . I have the prescription but not exactly sure what all of this means. The unit I am borrowing is a older Respironics BiPap AutoSV model (1038917). This unit may not have all of the setting per my prescription. Will this unit work?
The unit shows:
IPAP Max
IPAP Min
EPAP

The prescription reads: Max EPAP 15 Min EPAP 4 Max PS 20 Min PS 0 Max pressure 29 Timed Insp 1.5 Rate 8

Yep. . . This is greek to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

That's typical of how an ASV machine Rx is written. The phrase: "Max pressure 29 Timed Insp 1.5 Rate 8" is the auto ventilation setting. It pulses a pressure of 29 cm-H2O.

I'm no expert on on Phillips-Respironics Machines. Your borrowed machine is: "Respironics BiPap AutoSV" sounds like it should work.
The mode setting might not be set right to permit the machine to accept the Rx parameters.

See the link at the top to ask for the clinician's manual. Typically there is a flow chart style listing of settings.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,524 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,068 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 296 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 278 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data WhatIsRemSleep 16 947 02-12-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.