Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Living at altitude & a manometer
RE: Living at altitude & a manometer
I think the bigger issue would be the supplemental O2,  Checking with an SPO2 device would be beneficial..

....  Philip

Or, maybe I have read too many posts tonight !!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Living at altitude & a manometer
Quote:I think the reason is because of the way CPAP machines measure flow rate. They pass air first through one pressure sensor and then a second pressure sensor. The drop in pressure between the two sensors can tell you how fast the air is moving, but that determination is a function of the air density. The air in Denver is less dense than the air in Houston, so this has to be compensated for if the machine is to be able to accurately determine flow rates. Knowing the flow rate is necessary because the machine needs to know how fast to spin the impeller to maintain the pressure. This the real engineering feat of the CPAP machine: it maintains the same pressure regardless of how fast the patient is inhaling (or exhaling).

You do not need flow rate to determine the speed the impeller needs to run. All of the machines have pressure gages. You spin the impeller up until it achieves the back pressure that is desired and there you have it. May not be real scientific but works well and is very accurate as long as the pressure gage is accurate.

Best Regards

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 118 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea and high altitude djpax13 4 707 08-06-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Low SpO2 but CPAP doesn't react - high altitude sleepfatigued 10 1,181 01-18-2022, 04:30 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  living with (some) leaks hegel 0 554 10-03-2021, 10:20 AM
Last Post: hegel
Sad My life has become living hell [nose blockage] arc0509 62 10,536 07-01-2021, 01:39 AM
Last Post: arc0509

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.