Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing?
RE: CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing?
Ti is available only on the Aicurve 10 T model. The other standard bilevel modes have Ti max and Ti min. These are limiting values. The Ti min maintains the inhale pressure for at least the time Ti min is set for even if you start to exhale before then. The factory setting for Ti min is 0.2 seconds

Ti max will switch you to exhale pressure at the setting time if you have not already started your exhale. The machine will just transition from inhale pressure to exhale pressure if it senses your exhale starting during the period between these limiting settings.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2017, 04:49 PM)AmaiNeiko Wrote: Machine is: Cpap Phillips respironics dreamstation
Pressure:8 (ramp is on starting at 5)
Humidity: 3-4
Mask: full face air fit F10

As an asthmatic myself, I've found too high of humidity to trigger my asthma.  My sweet spot with my machine is Adaptive, 3, with a 5 hose temp. I live in a pretty dry, but not bone dry, climate.

I have also experienced too low of a pressure to trigger my asthma. So I would stop using the ramp, and just let your beginning pressure be 8.  Or if you must, set your ramp to start at 6 or 7.

What also triggers my asthma is certain algorithms(?) of exhale breath support.  A-flex, especially the higher flex #, causes me to wheeze. I'm doing very well on C-flex 1.

Your mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also started to have asthma episodes when I started APAP about 10 moths ago.

It might be a coincidence but after I started taking Xyzal allergy medication it has settled down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah I understand now, thank you very much for explaining! I've tried using my cpap as is but am still fairly uncomfortable, I yawn constantly when I put it on. I worry it's not giving me any benefits without the oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would put the flex or EPR on max number and set the minimum pressure number a couple above your max that you have now. That may give you a bit more function. I also would have got some o2 while you are away from home. It may be too hard to organise now, but I would discuss travel o2 with your doctor when you return home.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I yawn when my pressure is too low. It's the body's natural way to draw more air in. Try at least bumping up your min/ramp pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wheezing noise n20 with VCom ifsmithy 2 386 12-23-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Asthma & CPAP MARrshh 4 917 07-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  Airsense 10 making wheezing noise? Normal? tierdal 11 10,570 08-31-2021, 02:52 PM
Last Post: mrmagloo
  Can pap use cause wheezing? Deborah K. 4 2,270 07-02-2020, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing? ShhhImSleeping 3 1,348 05-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Asthma and CPAP Qs from newbie SleepyEdmonton 6 1,426 02-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross CPAP Made me well - sick. Asthma.Acne.Etc. dbw45 11 2,019 02-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: booksfan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.