Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Local DME?
RE: Local DME?
(09-01-2017, 06:36 AM)Margali Wrote: It is autocorrecting to cpvc pipe. Try spelling out word or sleep apnea supplies.

Well, that explains it! Sort of....
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to the person who recommended I interview prospective DME's. Great idea. There seems to be only one in this area—a regional company—but I'm satisfied with the point person.

One factoid bothers me, however. If a mask doesn't work out, I can only get replacement (plus a small fee) of the same type of mask. That means, if I choose a nasal pillow, I can only swap out for another nasal pillow, except to buy a whole new one. Is this typical?

To find out if the DME bills Medicare, I simply asked them. As far as I can tell, Medicare's list of contract DME's is useless, at least in this area.

I'm not doing a titration sleep study, by the way; just an auto PAP. So, I won't have mask testing via a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2017, 09:54 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: For local CPAP providers, Google refers me to the following suppliers: [...] welding stuff...

LMAO.

I wanna meet the DME that offers welding gear - "Here's your new Miller Dynasty TIG, all covered by your insurance." Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto darkening CPAP mask? I'm in.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
HalfAsleep wrote: "One factoid bothers me, however. If a mask doesn't work out, I can only get replacement (plus a small fee) of the same type of mask. That means, if I choose a nasal pillow, I can only swap out for another nasal pillow, except to buy a whole new one. Is this typical?"

Hi HalfAsleep,

Different DMEs approach this differently. If you know or have reason to think you are a mouth breather you could well end up with a full face mask. Otherwise, the nasal pillow is what you should try first. After three months you will be covered for a new mask and could switch at that time. In a crunch you could purchase a mask from one of the suppliers without spending a terrible amount of money. If you can use nasal pillows that will be more comfortable.

You need to have a copy of the complete results from your sleep study for your records. If you did an in clinic study that should have given an indication of the type mask needed. You are entitled to the sleep study report and also a copy of the Rx for CPAP and should keep them in your files. In any case you are far far ahead of where many of us were this early in our treatment when it comes to dealing with DMEs. You should read up on the forum about choice of machines before you get locked in with a less than desirable machine.

Here is a quote from a recent post by SuperSleeper: "I know it's been mentioned several times in other threads, but I think the Wiki article written by one of our Advisory Members (Archangle) on Machine Choices should be read by everyone here. Don't let a Durable Medical Equipment $upplier (DME) bamboozle you. Never accept or settle for what we nickname a dumb "brick" CPAP machine (one that is not fully data-capable).

Be an informed patient and read this excellent article, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

If you haven't read this it's a good place to start. You should be getting along well with your treatment in no time.

Regards, Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2017, 01:11 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Hi HalfAsleep,

Different DMEs approach this differently. If you know or have reason to think you are a mouth breather you could well end up with a full face mask. Otherwise, the nasal pillow is what you should try first. After three months you will be covered for a new mask and could switch at that time. In a crunch you could purchase a mask from one of the suppliers without spending a terrible amount of money. If you can use nasal pillows that will be more comfortable.

You need to have a copy of the complete results from your sleep study for your records. If you did an in clinic study that should have given an indication of the type mask needed. You are entitled to the sleep study report and also a copy of the Rx for CPAP and should keep them in your files. In any case you are far far ahead of where many of us were this early in our treatment when it comes to dealing with DMEs. You should read up on the forum about choice of machines before you get locked in with a less than desirable machine.

Regards, Stan
BBM (bolded by me). 

That's a great idea about just waiting out 3 months for a new mask. It's possible I can just start with a FFM and then go with that until I get the whole CPAP thing figured out. Then it'll be easier to make choices. My mouth and nose might also behave a little differently once I get good sleep, so this can be factored in at the 3 month mark.

The only reason I know anything about DME's is from reading this forum. I had never heard of them before. I consult regularly with the newbie articles, too. You guys are PROs!
Post Reply Post Reply
And you will be one before you know it, hope you stay with us and become a contributor, that's what keeps the forum going.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2017, 08:01 PM)stanleydean Wrote: And you will be one before you know it, hope you stay with us and become a contributor, that's what keeps the forum going.

I wish this board had a thank you button....
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2017, 08:21 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I wish this board had a thank you button....

It does!  It's labeled as "Donate"    Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you on Original Medicare (Parts A & B) or Medicare Advantage (Part C)? If original Medicare you need to determine if you are in a mandatory bidding area, in which case you can only use DMEs that qualified. If Advantage, then you have to go through whomever the plan you are on uses.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Not in stock at local branch level" medical supply Apria tierdal 6 1,141 04-20-2021, 10:04 PM
Last Post: tierdal
  Local DME supplier Big Guy 2 709 07-31-2020, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  My local Craigslist find Vitamin J 9 2,280 12-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Ellen Sauer
  Is my local DME crooked or is this normal? Michaely6 46 5,469 11-20-2018, 06:46 AM
Last Post: MitchS
Question A decision between ResMed & Philips, how important is it to have a local DME provider bonum.noctem 5 1,611 07-29-2018, 05:57 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Local Provider vs. Online CPAP BigDaddySnooze 15 3,882 07-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Newbie question - should I buy my FIRST machine online or from a local distributor? kowlooner 11 3,315 04-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Last Post: kowlooner

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.