Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: swift fx
Humidifier: remstar
CPAP Pressure: 13
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Retired Village Idiot

Sex: Male

Local Sleep Clinic Complaints . . .
I don't want to violate any rules but I've just about had it up-to-here with my local sleep clinic and the way they treat seniors as though we all had the brains of a two-week-old puppy. I just got publicly chewed out in the lobby by a doctor because I didn't want to fill out the same g-d forms when all I wanted to do was get supplies for my CPAP that would be paid for under medicare. I'm tired of paying for all my own supplies.

If this is too sensitive a topic for this board, I'm fine with that and I'll simply walk away (my frustration will continue but that's not the fault of anyone here). For the record, I've had a very medically eventful life and I'm very much an advocate of understanding and being in charge of my own health care. I've been using a CPAP since 1991 (nightly, can't live, well, sleep without it). Anyway, this is becoming increasingly difficult when the 'best' justification most clinics give to patients is that 'it's our paradigm'. Honestly, if I hear that word again I may go verbally postal.
11-24-2015 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: Local Sleep Clinic Complaints . . .
Welcome

You will find various levels of frustration among the members here. It is a common theme, unfortunately. It doesn't need to be that way and some members have found better providers. Congrats on taking charge of your therapy and increasing the quality of your life!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
11-24-2015 04:34 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

If we shutdown every person who complains about their sleep clinic, we'd have no members.
You've not violated any rules.

The topic sort of straddles the main forum area and the off-topic area; so a moderator might choose to move your post to the off topic area.

So, Welcome

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-24-2015 04:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

obieephyhm: You've been a member on this forum since September 2013 and this is your first post??? That's what's showing at least, is it true? LOL

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
11-24-2015 07:11 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(11-24-2015 07:11 PM)cate1898 Wrote:  obieephyhm: You've been a member on this forum since September 2013 and this is your first post??? That's what's showing at least, is it true? LOL

It's possible. Or, SuperSleeper messed up the post counts DielaughingDielaughingDielaughing
Sometimes he has a bad day when he runs out of coffee.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 07:53 PM by justMongo.)
11-24-2015 07:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
obieephyhm Offline

New Members

Machine: Remstar Pro C-Flex+
Mask Make & Model: swift fx
Humidifier: remstar
CPAP Pressure: 13
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Retired Village Idiot

To all and sundry . . .

Yes, I've been a member here for awhile. I'm an introvert, what can I say? More specifically, I've been through the wringer since 2008 with multiple surgeries and complications. 2013-2014 where spent in pretty rapid renal failure. Transplant numero tre took place early last december. T'is a long and complicated trail . . . which doesn't leave me a whole lot of time for much else, I'm afraid. But . . . to really date myself, I used to participate in all kinds of forums back in the BBS days . . . (let's see how many get that reference).

Anyway, does anyone here have any successful history filing complaints against so-called 'providers' -- I'm really rather (fill-in negative emotions of choice) from getting chewed-out by a doctor in front of staff and other patients while in the waiting room . . .
11-24-2015 08:04 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

many of us here are that old Tongue

but i like to imagine there was no life before the internet!

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

11-24-2015 08:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(11-24-2015 08:04 PM)obieephyhm Wrote:  ...Anyway, does anyone here have any successful history filing complaints against so-called 'providers' -- I'm really rather (fill-in negative emotions of choice) from getting chewed-out by a doctor in front of staff and other patients while in the waiting room . . .

You might try your State Health Insurance Program (SHIP.)
Realistically, perhaps the best recourse is to write the doc up on Yelp giving a truthful opinion of the doc's professional behavior.

11-24-2015 09:12 PM
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

(11-24-2015 08:04 PM)obieephyhm Wrote:  Anyway, does anyone here have any successful history filing complaints against so-called 'providers'

Not me.

They billed my insurance company for a mask kit, then separately for a mask, headgear & nasal pillows, for about $400, when I only got the mask.

I complained to both the insurance company and the DME and nobody gave a crap.

My only solution was to switch to "Visa" and the internet for my future purchases. It's not much more expensive for me online, out of pocket than it was to use my insurance and pay the "co pay", and they're much easier to deal with.

My suspicion is that the inflated prices mean that my supposed 20% "copay" of the bizarrely inflated prices covers most of the cost, and the insurance company actually pays little or nothing.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 10:39 PM by Terry.)
11-24-2015 10:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DMR1 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFitF10
Humidifier: Built into the CPAP
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Well, obieephyhm, I do remember the BBS world, as well as 1200 baud modems and the seeming miracle when they introduced the 2400 baud modem. I'll let Medicare pay for everything I can. So you're not alone in here.

As we are basically in the same area, I'll be glad to pass along the name of a certified sleep doctor (a pulmonologist) in our area via email to one of the moderators here, if you're interested. I was treated by all the staff with both professionalism and dignity.
(Being a new member here, I'm not sure how things are done.)

If you have a complaint against a physician you can contact the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice.
11-24-2015 11:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Extreme hostile sales tactics from a clinic - anyone? crystalcalliou 15 600 12-01-2016 12:03 AM
Last Post: chill
  [CPAP] Local Provider vs. Online CPAP BigDaddySnooze 15 937 07-10-2016 05:06 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Newbie question - should I buy my FIRST machine online or from a local distributor? kowlooner 11 1,127 04-26-2016 10:53 PM
Last Post: kowlooner
  [Treatment] Is it possible to handle this without a local supplier/respiratory therapist? Lani 12 1,493 12-10-2015 09:34 PM
Last Post: Terry
  Sleep at clinic becomes pipe dream ApneaNews 23 5,100 06-06-2015 12:28 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  What can a (Hospital) Sleep Clinic Group do? AfibApnea 9 1,749 01-17-2014 06:54 PM
Last Post: Lukie
  Insurers push clinic sleep testing into homes zeeser 13 4,015 02-08-2013 11:02 AM
Last Post: zimlich