Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long Term Use of Travel CPAP
Question 
Long Term Use of Travel CPAP
Has anyone used a travel CPAP machine for a large number of hours?  I am in the process of getting a new machine and I am considering getting a travel CPAP instead of a regular CPAP.  I am curious if they will hold up as well as a regular machine or if they are not designed for everyday use.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long Term Use of Travel CPAP
No answer, but I'm also interested in hearing about it because of similar urges ... am looking at the DS Go as being very close to what I want, even though I'm a big fan of Resmed's machines. The Airmini is no good for my purposes, unfortunately.

Even though you've been around here longer than I have, I'll risk sounding like a young upstart just for the sake of warning against the Z1: If you're considering that one, it's best to read all the reviews of it you can find, here and elsewhere, and to think long & hard before spending the money. My reaction, after some hours of reading, was "No way!" The Yugo of CPAP machines looks to me like a big ripoff, vastly overpriced for what it is. The other three (PR, Resmed, Somnetics) all look good in various ways despite their high prices, although each one has its particular quirks. Is Somnetics (Transcend) still alive & kickin'? I almost never see that name mentioned anywhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been reading reviews and i found 1 person whom said they had been using an Airmini for just about 2 years on a daily basis.  He didn't give any details though.  Otherwise I can't find anything on this.  

I read on a few sites that the Z1 is quite noisy compared to it's competitors.  If I go this route I will probably get the Airmioni because that is the machine of choice at most retailers around here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post if you try this. I'm tempted by the same motivation!

This guy uses a Dreamstation Go full time.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Different
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally would be reluctant to use a travel machine as my main machine, in fact I like to travel with my backup machine a close copy of my main machine, I don’t often fly long haul so would not need the machine to sleep on the plane, but I do fly every other week for work and just carry my spare machine which is complete and ready to go, it does not affect my carry on and is no hassle and ensures one less thing to disturb my sleep when staying away from home.

I like the idea of using the same or similar machine as at home with a Heated Hose and a Humidifier, fully compatible with Sleepyhead and nearly silent.

Full disclosure I have Complex Sleep Apnoea so need a really expensive ASV machine, so I cant get a travel machine that treats my condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a couple of problems with using a travel sized machine full time, not just because insurance won't pay for it. There is limited humidification, if any. It only logs compliance - there is no way to know if you need changes since it doesn't log any data. Going backwards IMHO, so not a good option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2018, 02:45 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: There is limited humidification, if any.  It only logs compliance - there is no way to know if you need changes since it doesn't log any data.

Yes. Speaking only for myself, I have been taking those things into account. I don't use humidification or an SD card, haven't for a while, and don't expect to any time soon. The AHI & leak rate as reported on the machine's display are enough for me. If and when I need full data, I have machines that can provide it.

(Y'all may call me foolish, or blissfully ignorant, but actually I'm one of the lucky ones [he said smugly] and I really like not having to hassle with all of that stuff. I threw it overboard when I fired my useless sleepydoc and DME.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Therapeutically, specifically for the concern of pressures, the travel machine should be effective at treating OSA. However, as others have stated, no humidifier can have some consequences that are undesirable. I wouldn't get a travel machine for daily because of the noise. I have an HDM Z1, and it is noisy. I suspect it's likely louder than the AirMini or DS Go, but I have heard the noise levels are high on those models too.
The cost of a travel machine can net you 1.5 regular, modern machines (last time I looked anyway). The travel machines also use some special fittings and attachments that could cause some supply issues. e.g. non-standard hoses. For travel, having a copy of my prescription in the travel bag assures that I can walk into any DME and purchase outright any of the hoses or masks. Most DMEs should carry a spare power supply for a Dreamstation or Resmed machine, I bet my dime to your nickel that most DMEs will have to order a power supply for travel machines, even if you arent traveling.

For me, I'll keep my Z1 for camping trips and have-to-use situations. I love the quiet machine on my bedstand and wont go a night without therapy.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent points, JL, and they should certainly be considered by anyone thinking of going the mini-CPAP route. Nothing there happens to rule it out for me.

(BTW, no Rx is needed for hose, mask parts, filters ... only for machines and masks, in the U.S. Didn't someone mention the other day that no Rx is needed for masks in Canada?)

As for cost, it is a big bite and I don't like it, but there are times when I will pay for convenience, and to me, the DS Go's reduced size & weight look great compared to anything else. Beyond traveling, there may or may not be reasons to avoid using it at home; for me, that remains to be seen. I wouldn't buy a mini machine only for home use.

If I'm traveling in the conventional way via motor vehicles, hotels/motels, etc. (as opposed to being some place where there's no Innertubes connection), I expect to have a notebook computer with me, and a PDF of my CPAP Rx. I'm a spoiled consumerdroid at this late date, addicted to web ordering and second-day delivery and Amazon Lockers and all that fun stuff (even though I know it's bad for me and will rot my teeth). So that's my preferred method for replacing a device or component.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2018, 04:25 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Excellent points, JL, and they should certainly be considered by anyone thinking of going the mini-CPAP route.  Nothing there happens to rule it out for me.

(BTW, no Rx is needed for hose, mask parts, filters ... only for machines and masks, in the U.S.  Didn't someone mention the other day that no Rx is needed for masks in Canada?)

As for cost, it is a big bite and I don't like it, but there are times when I will pay for convenience, and to me, the DS Go's reduced size & weight look great compared to anything else.  Beyond traveling, there may or may not be reasons to avoid using it at home; for me, that remains to be seen.  I wouldn't buy a mini machine only for home use.

If I'm traveling in the conventional way via motor vehicles, hotels/motels, etc. (as opposed to being some place where there's no Innertubes connection), I expect to have a notebook computer with me, and a PDF of my CPAP Rx.  I'm a spoiled consumerdroid at this late date, addicted to web ordering and second-day delivery and Amazon Lockers and all that fun stuff (even though I know it's bad for me and will rot my teeth).  So that's my preferred method for replacing a device or component.

Right on Sir concerning Rx requirements for supplies. It gives me peace of mind and I would not expect a DME to be so informed as we die hard hose heads are. Having the Rx will cut short any arguments concerning supply purchases. Needed or not.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 7 306 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 6 199 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 11 276 04-19-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 195 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 121 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,970 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 780 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.