Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ComfortGel Blue
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Tube DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter

Sex: Male

RE: Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User
It will be interesting to see what your doctor changes your prescription to, given you want an auto CPAP device. If it were me, I'd recommend pressure settings of 10 (min) to 20 (max) for the long term, but 10 (min) to 12 (max) until you get used to the device. It really is the case that you will eventually not notice the pressure. Meantime, the ramp feature is your friend. You can start with pressures as low as 4, and have them climb to your minimum setting in as long as 45 minutes (at least for PSR1 machines; I assume ResMed machines have similar settings). Eventually, you will probably find that a pressure of 4 is too low, and it feels like there's not enough air! When you want to try to stop using the ramp, simply turn on the machine and "force" the first two or three breaths, just like blowing up a balloon. At that point, the pressure will stabilize and breathing becomes easier.
07-23-2013 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
sleepyhead2 Offline

Members

Machine: S9 Autoset Resmed
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP Hose Lift to take gravity pressure off hose

Sex: Undisclosed
Thanks for that. My AHI is reducing night on night. I don't know what the AHI was on diagnosis to compare with what I am achieving now. I am finding after the initial 2 nights though that it is a struggle to breath when I put the machine in - it's like there isnt enough oxygen. Wondering if this could be harmful ? or is it just a good workout for the lungs ?

(07-23-2013 05:42 PM)RonWessels Wrote:  Be careful with an auto range of 4 - 20, particularly if your actual effective treatment pressure is 8 or higher.

If you look at the Philips Respironics article on [snip in order to post reply] Non-Responsive Apnea/Hypopnea[/url], you'll see that if the auto CPAP device detects apnea/hypopnea events that are not eliminated after a pressure increase of 3 cmH2O, it treats the events as "non-responsive" and decreases the pressure to "stabilize the airway".

In other words, if your pressure range lower limit is too low for effective treatment, it may be that the device never actually gets to a high enough pressure to treat your apneas/hypopneas!
08-04-2013 06:05 AM
DerekN Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Micro
CPAP Pressure: 10 cmsh20

Other Comments: CPAP user for over 10 years, previous device was S7 Lightweight.

Its probably because you still need to get used to it....it took me a couple of weeks to be comfortable with my first one and it didn't have EPR as an option. It was set to a fixed pressure of 10cm which feels normal for me now but at first felt like an incredible amount of flow pressure which made me feel a bit claustrophobic. The EPR setting and ramp functions should help alleviate the problems of getting used to air being forced in to your airway.
08-04-2013 06:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sleepyhead2 Offline

Members

Derek, thanks - but I'm actually experiencing the opposite problem of that. When I put the machine in it feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen. It starts off at 4. First thing I did was switch off the ramp function but it still takes time to build up sufficient flow to where I am comfortable. I dread putting the machine in because I am not getting enough air. Was wondering if this is harmful.

(08-04-2013 06:35 PM)DerekN Wrote:  Its probably because you still need to get used to it....it took me a couple of weeks to be comfortable with my first one and it didn't have EPR as an option. It was set to a fixed pressure of 10cm which feels normal for me now but at first felt like an incredible amount of flow pressure which made me feel a bit claustrophobic. The EPR setting and ramp functions should help alleviate the problems of getting used to air being forced in to your airway.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 03:47 PM by sleepyhead2.)
08-07-2013 03:46 PM
big_dave Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One DS560
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

(08-07-2013 03:46 PM)sleepyhead2 Wrote:  Derek, thanks - but I'm actually experiencing the opposite problem of that. When I put the machine in it feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen. It starts off at 4. First thing I did was switch off the ramp function but it still takes time to build up sufficient flow to where I am comfortable. I dread putting the machine in because I am not getting enough air. Was wondering if this is harmful.

It's not actually harmful, but you won't get used to feeling air-starved. Most people need a minimum pressure of at least 6 to avoid feeling air-starved. I'm a big guy, and I'm uncomfortable with the pressure set any lower than 8.

Here are the instructions: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual and http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
08-08-2013 12:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
sleepyhead2 Offline

Members

Thanks a million !! Much appreciated, Derek.

(08-08-2013 12:42 AM)big_dave Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 03:46 PM)sleepyhead2 Wrote:  Derek, thanks - but I'm actually experiencing the opposite problem of that. When I put the machine in it feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen. It starts off at 4. First thing I did was switch off the ramp function but it still takes time to build up sufficient flow to where I am comfortable. I dread putting the machine in because I am not getting enough air. Was wondering if this is harmful.

It's not actually harmful, but you won't get used to feeling air-starved. Most people need a minimum pressure of at least 6 to avoid feeling air-starved. I'm a big guy, and I'm uncomfortable with the pressure set any lower than 8.

Here are the instructions:[Snip to post]
08-11-2013 04:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 189 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 9 534 12-06-2016 08:00 PM
Last Post: SnoreGalore
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 475 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,336 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Is it time to replace cushion on the mask worthog 3 237 11-26-2016 10:50 PM
Last Post: GP49
  New User! SKClay 3 281 11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  ASV/ Central apena - Time for a second opinion? Feisty Folder 6 349 11-21-2016 04:14 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing