Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long episode of intermittent breathing
RE: Long episode of intermittent breathing
Getting back to DrN:

Any chance you have a pulse oximeter, preferably (although not essentially) synced to Oscar? I think that event would stand out as a pulse change, not necessarily as an O2 saturation change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions.  I'll try to add some info that some of the replies speak to.
I only have a finger oximeter which is not connected to the A10.    
Last night was a real good night and my AHI was 0.99.  I was going through the graphs trying to find any asynchrony after reading more posts.
Here is the whole night graph and an expanded two snapshots showing a mode transition.  Looking at the time, I was probably waking up.
If it's any help, I am a side sleeper mostly on my right side.

As can be seen, I shut off the A10 around 5:15 and disconnected.  I think that often my best sleep is after doing this and falling back to sleep intil 7:15 in the "quiet time".
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO that's not Mode Transition that's palate crap resulting in sleep arousal.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine cannot interpret your respiration rate during those periods with the wavy respiration and counts each breath about 4-times which leads to that very high respiration rate. You are not the first to display this respiratory pattern, and with your low AHI, I don't even know if it is extremely important to try to correct. We have not had a consistent result in using different settings to resolve this pattern, but higher minimum pressure and pressure support sometimes helps to stabilize the airway. The pattern occurs most of the night as seen from the (false) high respiration rate most of the night.

I think this is an airway that would benefit from higher pressure and the bilevel pressure of EPR as suggested earlier. Minimum pressure 8.0, Maximum 11.0 and EPR 3. All we can do is try and see if it helps.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
DrN, I have one of the threads on this phenomenon http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-your-data

I think that mine is positional, in that I usually see movement before and after, and also I will see this coming off an ugly cluster of positional apnea.

I need to set up a camera and so what the heck I'm doing when this happens. The odd thing is that this was a pretty constant part of 6.5 years of APAP use, and it almost completely disappeared when I switched to vauto. I've just spent 11 nights with a new Air11, and I haven't seen it once.

Also you've got pretty constant leaks going on. Everyone here says that leaks under red-line are ok, but I'm not convinced. Especially since it is one thing to say that the machine adjusts to deliver effective therapy during leaks, and quite another to say that there are no effects on the data collection. I've wondered about things like the edges of the mask cushion vibrating somehow and generating some weird pressure waves. However I DO see plenty of examples of this happening when my mask seal is perfect, so it's not JUST leaks.

Oh, and another thing is that if you use EPR, then your mask pressure graph shows your machine varying the pressure on inhale vs exhale. When you get into these states where the machine is utterly bewildered as to whether you are inhaling or exhaling the pattern will jump all over the place. (You can look at the graph and almost hear your machine saying WTF?!?) You should move that mask pressure graph up underneath the flow rate graph so you can see how they track.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,151 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 386 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.