Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long episode of intermittent breathing
Long episode of intermittent breathing

I had an unusual episode recently.  The Oscar program shows a series of about 10 breaths followed by 60 - 70 seconds of apnea which repeated and continued for two hours.  The Oscar program said that the CPAP machine counted 76 "Unclassified Apneas".  My usual AHI is 1 to 5.  This one came in at over 40.  Is this Cheyne-Stokes Respirations?

Looking for any comments and advice, and yes I do have a message in to my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long episode of intermittent breathing
It's good that this is unusual. This appears to be alternately hyperventilation and hypoventilation or apnea. It would sure help to see more of the chart including the pressure and left bar statistics.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.  I took 3 screenshots of the Oscar graphs and include them here.

Post Reply Post Reply
Additionally, I include one picture with the label of the longest apnea event which was 78 seconds.
I'm quite sure that I can't hold my breath that long when I am awake!

Post Reply Post Reply
Yikes!!

That is WICKED!!

Because of the cycle length (long!) and precise intervals, clearly a central component.  At first glimpse the crescendo portion of CSR appears to be missing; however I do believe that effort is there, but it's hidden by obstruction (the little gasps at the end of each apnea), making this a true mixed apnea.

My guess would therefore be Cheyne-Stokes Respiration with inadequately treated Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
With a leak rate that high, a lot of the devices data can't be trusted as being accurate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of the data presented, what do you think is inaccurate?
Post Reply Post Reply
Dr Nefario, how often do you see this pattern?
Can you show us a chart of what you consider a "typical" night?
Are you aware of any cardiac conditions, that might be a contributor to this?
Do you have a copy of your original sleep study, and if so will you post a copy redacted for personal information?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with DS about the leaks -- when I have huge leaks I don't know if the machine is recording my breathing, or it's recording itself playing mask trombone on my face!
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in awe how the flow generator can be sending out about 80 LPM and come up with any data at all.

Of course, I am equally amazed on how gravity works, and why we don't spin off the planet into space.

That said, I believe these data to be absolutely accurate, and there's significant stuff going on.

BTW N., do you know why your settings didn't load?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,179 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 153 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 174 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 516 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 561 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 387 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.