Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long-haul in-flight CPAP?
Long-haul in-flight CPAP?
I have a few long- haul flights coming up. Having already laid out for a ResMed portable lithium battery, I have been told by my clinic that very few patients actually bother to use in-flight CPAP.

I am wondering what people have found - I imagine compounding jet lag by sleeping on the plane with untreated OSA would be pretty awful, or does it not seem to matter too much fatigue-wise?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long-haul in-flight CPAP?
If I were planning on sleeping on a plane, or anywhere else, I wouldn't plan to do it without my CPAP machine. It may even be possible for you to have an outlet on the flight for plugging in your CPAP machine. The machines are designed to run on any continent's electric grid, you just have to make sure you have the right plug geometry. You can get a universal adapter for just a few dollars.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most airlines do not allow lithium batteries in the passenger area so you would have to use their plug-in. You also need to check with your airline about the availability and location of 120V plugs - might require you to change seats. Having said all of that, I never tried to use my CPAP on long flights, i.e. Singapore-Tokyo-LA. Even before, I never slept well on a plane and only got short naps.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed Power Station II is 97WH and OK for airplane use. 100WA or more is not.
"Product meets the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements (RTCA/D0-160, section 21, category M) for all phases of air travel."
Post Reply Post Reply
As loud as I snore when I "nap" without my APAP? No way in heck would I subject the rest of the plane to that. The vibrations would bring it down!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2016, 08:16 AM)ttexan Wrote: I think most airlines do not allow lithium batteries in the passenger area so you would have to use their plug-in. You also need to check with your airline about the availability and location of 120V plugs - might require you to change seats. Having said all of that, I never tried to use my CPAP on long flights, i.e. Singapore-Tokyo-LA. Even before, I never slept well on a plane and only got short naps.

most airlines appear to prohibit you using their plugins for medical devices, because they don't want liability if their onboard power flickers or damages your equipment, hence, they *require* battery power. pain in the rear encountered on trip to france last summer.
Post Reply Post Reply
About 3 years ago, I used an auto cpap on some long flights overseas and or red-eye flights across country. I flew on both Singapore and United Airlines using the auto cpap, with a portable battery.

Before my first flight, I was directed to speak to disabilities on United Airlines, and the Disabilities person said I would need to get a battery because the flight I was going on did not have any outlets nearby the seats.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've travelled to London, China and all over the US. I've never bothered to use my CPAP in fight and quite honestly - even on international flights - it's not logistically feasible IMHO. You might be able to do something if you were in first class in a sleeper module but those coach seats have no room to speak of.

I typically will give myself one extra day for travel so that I can check into my hotel, set up my CPAP and get some sleep and get my clock caught up on to compensate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,809 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 448 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.