Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy
(11-11-2015 04:29 PM)Possum Wrote:  My sleep study documented an AHI = 32, which is in the severe apnea range; however, many of those must have been hypopneas rather than apneas because my wife says I rarely snored, except on weekends when I generally enjoy alcoholic beverages.

I would tend to think just the opposite. Hypopneas are caused by a partially blocked airway, so I would associate those with snoring. You should be able to get a copy of the sleep study and find out.

There are a lot of variables here. It could be that your wife was sound asleep when you were snoring and didn't hear it, but on weekends perhaps she wasn't sleeping as well as on week nights for some reason. Perhaps she also had a drink or two, or perhaps she's just more tired on week nights because she can't sleep in like she can on weekends.

Quote:Now she says as soon as I fall asleep without a mask, I snore.

I doubt this has anything to do with an alteration caused by CPAP therapy. As we age we lose muscle tone, so that could be it. Also, it could be that your brain has now convinced itself that it's ok to let you fall asleep. Before CPAP therapy it had to constantly wake you up to breathe, so it never let you fall fully asleep. Now you are sleeping deeper and that's the reason you are snoring more.

Anyway, if you monitor your data you can lower your pressure as you lose weight and see if your AHI stays low. You really don't have any options, anyway. You know you need CPAP therapy now, so you'd just be killing yourself if you stopped while you know you still need it.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-11-2015 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 4 71 Today 12:00 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there an end to CPAP therapy? SamStamport 10 519 10-29-2016 08:46 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Side Effects Tom Whit 4 397 10-24-2016 08:08 PM
Last Post: NorthernGuy
  Two Long Weeks EnigmaGrey 20 902 10-12-2016 12:39 PM
Last Post: EnigmaGrey
  Insomnia getting worse 3 months into therapy baconjurer 3 507 10-05-2016 11:50 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Auto-Trial –delivers CPAP therapy adjusting pressure 30days ICEMAN 8 1,230 09-24-2016 12:34 PM
Last Post: green wings
  cpap therapy still tired wyu177 12 833 09-21-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: wyu177