Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long time CPAP user looking for some feedback
RE: Long time CPAP user looking for some feedback
We have had a number of members that have had a change of machines allowed at no cost based on comfort and therapy tolerance. It can happen, and I'm yet to hear of a complaint from anyone changing from Philips to Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have had many Canadians from this forum purchase on-line without insurance.
Simply state if you want a new or gently used machine and which one (I suggest the ResMed Autoset or the "for Her" version) and which one and ask for that help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! You're on your way to solving your problems.

My DME in Burlington Ontario tells me that you can get a better machine in BC than I can in Ontario. I haven't found out how to get an autopap machine yet. I'm working on it. Wink

My care increased substantially when I found a used ResMed cpap machine to buy from a friend. It was almost new. My Respironics machine had virtually no features; it was prescribed by my Sleep Doc From H.ll from the DME his hospital owned. At least it was quiet. :] It's good to see that ResMed apaps are better.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Just an update...

Sunday I increased my minimum pressure in 0.5 to 9 and changed A-Flex to 1, didn't noticed any changes from the days before, my AHI was 2.13 as you can see in my one of my charts attached. Yesterday I decided to turn A-Flex off and for my surprise this morning my AHI was 1.14. Not sure if it was because of not using the A-Flex or if I had a good night. Time will tell, I'll have at least a few more nights with this setting to see and will report back here. I'll change my nasal pillow mask to a nasal mask until my new Swift FX arrives next week. The headband of my AirFit P10 is too loose and might be causing leaks at night. One thing I noticed is that last night I had around 15min at my max pressure, something I never had before. Do you think it could be a leak that triggered that?

I have a couple of questions... I noticed that SleepyHead is showing that my machine is with the Heated Tubing = No even though is turned on in my machine. And yesterday showed the humidifiers as disconnected and it is connected. Has someone experienced something like that?

Is it still worth buying a lightly used (6 to 8 months) ResMed S9 Autoset with humidifier (H5i)? Or this model is old and doesn't get updates anymore?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2018, 08:26 AM)DaveL Wrote: Congratulations! You're on your way to solving your problems.

My DME in Burlington Ontario tells me that you can get a better machine in BC than I can in Ontario. I haven't found out how to get an autopap machine yet. I'm working on it. Wink

My care increased substantially when I found a used ResMed cpap machine to buy from a friend.  It was almost new.  My Respironics machine had virtually no features; it was prescribed by my Sleep Doc From H.ll from the DME his hospital owned. At least it was quiet. :] It's good to see that ResMed apaps are better.

Here in BC my DME offered me first a CPAP machine, they told me that I didn't need an APAP. I found that strange and since the insurance was covering most of it I told them that I wanted an APAP, because I did my trial on one and I felt very comfortable using it. I didn't know at that time the difference between a Respironics or ResMed.

I have extended insurance, so I don't know if just the BC province insurance pays for the machine, I guess only if you are considered as low income.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think getting a S9 at a good price serves two purposes. First, it will further improve your therapy and be more comfortable, resolving the FL, RERA and hypopnea, as well as the wrong inhale exhale times your Philips continues to report even with Flex off. Second, it will become your primary machine and the Philips will make a great backup.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2018, 10:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think getting a S9 at a good price serves two purposes.  First, it will further improve your therapy and be more comfortable, resolving the FL, RERA and hypopnea, as well as the wrong inhale exhale times your Philips continues to report even with Flex off.  Second, it will become your primary machine and the Philips will make a great backup.

I found one for CAD$250, with 6-8 months of real use (I'll check the hours before buying it), so it seems like a good deal.

Last night my AHI was 1.6, so I think not using Flex actually made a difference. Now I'm curious to see my charts and numbers using a ResMed machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a look at Papsmart, they deliver out of Calgary and will honor a 20% off promotion they recently had meaning an Autoset 10 for him or her can be had with mask and hose for under 600CAD delivered.

I had no issues with them and delivery was quick - why buy used if you can get current model this cheap ?

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2018, 12:46 PM)Technopauper Wrote: Have a look at Papsmart, they deliver out of Calgary and will honor a 20% off promotion they recently had meaning an Autoset 10 for him or her can be had with mask and hose for under 600CAD delivered.

I had no issues with them and delivery was quick - why buy used if you can get current model this cheap ?

Rob

Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look at Papsmart, I just called my insurance and they will cover 80% if I buy a new machine. So I'll probably try to find the better deal and buy and new Airsense 10 Autoset for me. With Black Friday on the horizon, I'll wait to see if they will have good deals around that time.

I'll probably buy the used one for my father, as he needs a backup machine and he doesn't have insurance to cover the costs. The seller of the S9 just sent me the hours of usage and it is 5565 hours. Its about 2,5 years of usage. Is it too much? As far as I've seen these machines usually have a 20,000 hours life expectancy, so this one still has 3/4 of use on it, and it will be a backup/travel machine, so for $250 I appears to me that is a good deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I end buying the S9 Autoset for my father and tried tonight to see the difference from the PRS1 while I don't meet him since he lives in a different city.

It has a few different configurations from the PRS1, but I tried my best to configure like the one I have. Since here in the forum was mentioned that the ResMed is faster to increase the pressure in cases of OA, I used a minimum pressure of 7.4 and maximum of 12 and EPR of 2.

I felt really good during the night and woke up well. My AHI was 4.3, I attached a few charts and would be great if someone could take a look and check if I can tweak a little bit my settings and get better results.

[attachment=8884] [attachment=8885] [attachment=8886] [attachment=8887]

One thing that I noticed is that in my charts that are less types of events. Is that because the S9 records the events in a different way? Or because I had less types of events with the S9?

I went to my DME yesterday and they said that everything was fine with my machine and my settings  Unsure They are running a sale now for the DS and the Airsense 10 and said that I can test the Airsense 10 for a week or two before buying it. I did the math and I'll pay a little bit more (not much because of my insurance) but it might be worth it because of the warranty in case of a faulty machine and being able to check everything once a year for free.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 81 1,674 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Inspiration and Expiration Time MrIvanDrago 18 1,129 04-22-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  My insp time is always longer than my exp time...is that bad? jake79 2 103 04-22-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 1 95 04-22-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 6 196 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 12 314 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 9 182 04-20-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.