Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long time CPAP user now with a problem
Long time CPAP user now with a problem
New member here. I have been using CPAP since the summer of 2001. Since that time, I have been a fully compliant patient, using my machine all night, every night. I currently use a ResMed S9 Escape with nasal pillow mask.

I recently had weight loss surgery, and have lost in excess of 50 pounds. My CPAP now feels as though it is blowing too hard. Air pressure is blowing out of my mouth and inflating my cheeks as I try to sleep. As a result, the machine now keeps me awake.

I am unsure how to handle this...should I try to adjust the pressure myself, or do I need another study? Last one was about 8 years ago. Before surgery, the pressure was fine. Now everything has changed, and I need to fix this!

Can anyone on the board give me advice? Any similar situations?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long time CPAP user now with a problem
Hi PrkChps, Welcome to Apnea Board!
What pressure is your machine set at? Your profile says unsure.

Since your last study was 8 years ago, it would probably be a good idea to have another sleep study done especially since you have lost weight. Some folk report that with weight loss, they can dial down their pressure.

If you have insurance coverage, then pursue another study. Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PrkChps,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you know what your pressure is? That would help others to help you better.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions, good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, the ResMed S9 Escape is a dumb brick. It cannot offer you any data upon which to make adjustments.

If you have insurance, then get a sleep study; and a new machine that records efficacy data. Preferably an auto machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds to me like you have started dropping/relaxing the back of your tongue. Normally, this keeps the mouth sealed off. I assume the surgery did not affect your throat/neck area. Are you still on painkillers? Medication might explain why this is happening. A different sleeping position might too.

A full-face mask will address the problem somewhat, but you might still get a slightly dry mouth. The alternative is to retrain your tongue. Search for "tongue suck technique" in the search field below on the right. I strongly suggest NOT googling for that, I shudder to think at what might come up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think with all the changes I have been through, the best thing would be to pursue another sleep study. I will call my primary care doc for a referral.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 361 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,426 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,473 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.