Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Longer hose question
Longer hose question
I've been thinking about moving my cpap machine to the bathroom and running the hose through the wall. If I do that I would need a longer hose. The whining sound that it makes changes in pitch with each breath. The sound is very suttle, but I hear it. Whine may even be coming in through the hose. I'm not sure. Anyways, this is my second machine. Both machined whined. (Responics System One) My question is this. Has anyone gone to a 12' hose and experience a drop in pressure or increase in apneas because of the longer hose? I suppose I could monitor my apneas daily and see if there is a change. I'm averaging .5 to 3 AHI a night, which I don't want it to increase on me. I'm running a fan (white noise) in my room know which helps some.
Please advise. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Longer hose question
(05-18-2016, 07:14 PM)Pete1 Wrote: I've been thinking about moving my cpap machine to the bathroom and running the hose through the wall. If I do that I would need a longer hose. The whining sound that it makes changes in pitch with each breath. The sound is very suttle, but I hear it. Whine may even be coming in through the hose. I'm not sure. Anyways, this is my second machine. Both machined whined. (Responics System One) My question is this. Has anyone gone to a 12' hose and experience a drop in pressure or increase in apneas because of the longer hose? I suppose I could monitor my apneas daily and see if there is a change. I'm averaging .5 to 3 AHI a night, which I don't want it to increase on me. I'm running a fan (white noise) in my room know which helps some.
Please advise. Thinking-about

Welcome to the forum, Pete1.

You should be OK with the longer hose. I've attached a link to one of my threads where I asked the same question as well as another thread I found useful. Hope this helps.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...gth-change

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ose-length
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Do you have a shoebox or something like that that you can poke a few holes in the back? That should cut down on the noise I would think. If it is that bad, maybe there is something wrong with the machine.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
respironics machines are just whiny... it's a byproduct of their lower tech blower...

but, I wouldn't put it in the bathroom, every time you flush, there's an aerosol of what was in the toilet that gets infused in the room air...

think about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pete1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I know the OP is about a PR machine.
ResMed machines have two setting for hose length: 2 meters and 3 meters.
I'm not sure is a longer hose might interfere with apnea event classification. (OA v CA)

And, if you're going to do a manual start, you'd need really long arms.

Try some foam ear plugs.. or, just get old like me. I cannot even hear our alarm system!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally wouldn't move it to a bathroom. eeew
It's true that flushing a toilet does spray a mist into the room. It's not something you can see.

Besides that, the humidity created in a bathroom can't be ideal for your machine.

I think there are other things you can try...like placing APAP on the floor, or using a rubber padding under the machine to absorb noise.

I have heard of some that place their machine in a night stand drawer, and drill a hole in the back for the hose.
Good luck.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rather than move it into the bathroom, how about building a sound-proof box around it? I did this for my 3D printer and cut way down on the sound and those things are loud!! It doesn't have to be thick. I've drilled various holes in it for cables and it still works.

[Image: 26829913320_a435ba4e9d_n.jpg]

[Image: 27035588191_1424ebe0ee_n.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2016, 09:36 PM)justMongo Wrote: I know the OP is about a PR machine.
ResMed machines have two setting for hose length: 2 meters and 3 meters.
I'm not sure is a longer hose might interfere with apnea event classification. (OA v CA)

hose length has nothing to do with detection or classification, the setting is to allow the machine to compensate for pressure drop due to hose resistance.

and the resmed machines have three hose settings, slim, standard, and 3 meter.

the slim and standard hoses just happen to be 1.83 meters in length.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that being as air is very compressible increasing the hose volume by adding would lessen the effect of any change in air flow until the increase in volume is overcome. The sensors that record events are going to be set for the expected volume. This longer hose may make the recorded number of triggered events change when in fact they have not.

That said I put a longer hose on my cpap to add a place to hookup the oxygen hose. It makes my numbers look better. I just know that when I use the longer hose and oxygen that the reports are false. But I feel better when it is used. Waking up without a pounding head is nice.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 217 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 543 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,245 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 522 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 617 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,513 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.