Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Longer hoses
Longer hoses
It appears that longer (than the 'standard' 6' /1.8m) tubes/hoses are reasonably common in the USA, at least based on my perusal of ebay & online CPAP suppliers there. 

"Great" thought I, "an 8' hose is just what I need in our off road camper"

Well, not only is anything other than the standard 6' hose length uncommon is Australia, it is as rare as hen's teeth. I spent at least a couple of hours phoning a plethora of suppliers, both local to me & all around the country only to be consistently met with apologies & the telephone equivalent of blank stares.

Seems that Australians don't need/want/use anthing other than 6'.

So Amazon got my money & I now have a 3 pack of hoses on their way to me from the USA. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get here before the end of the month so I can use one for a 4 day camping trip we have planned.

I am amazed that they are unavailable downunder.

Just out of interest, given the machine they will be connected to (a Devilbiss Intellipap 2) has settings for different length & diameter hoses, are there generally any 'issues' with longer hoses I should be aware of?  Hopefully my fleecy hose wrap will also arrive in time for the upcoming trip.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Longer hoses
I think there could be a slight decrease of pressure over distance, based on what I've been skimming at this site:  https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ca...op.375348/

I'm not sure it would be enough to be a problem. One of the more physics-knowledgeable folks may know.

Found a better explanation [link to commercial website removed - see below]

"The longer the hose the greater the pressure loss end to end.
10' hoses are generally considered to be the limit.
Last year I ran several tests where I measured pressure loss over a 6', 10' & 12' (2 x 6') hoses at different pressures.
The drop is about 1 CMS per 6' at 10 CMS pressure (while in use (breathing)). "

Based on that description, you are adding 2 feet, so a possible pressure drop could be about 1/3 cm if you're set at 10 cm of presure.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  Link work-arounds are also not allowed. Sites owned or operated by a DME are considered as commercial websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 150 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 2,065 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Pilot-24 no longer recognizes CPAP DanDV 1 686 08-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,623 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Help refining settings for longer sleep sleepnomore 0 382 02-24-2023, 09:26 AM
Last Post: sleepnomore
  Does your REM get longer each sleep cycle? fishfinderG 2 734 10-29-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  [Equipment] Hoses - Slimline / Standard / Length Questions bartalone 1 541 08-21-2022, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.