Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking back
Looking back
It has been almost a year since I started on CPAP. I got the stats for that time period. They show 46 days without the machine. Actually there was only one night when I didn't use the machine. The first 30 days were with an F&p Icon. The figures below are only for my S9 --most of the time with a Swift FX mask and the last two months with the Res Med P10. The rest of the time we were away from home and I was using a different machine. Anyway, I couldn't ask for much better numbers although I admit I still like to take a 15-30-minute nap several times a week (without CPAP).

[Image: one-yearwc.jpg]
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking back
Good stuff Congrats

I've been on PAP nearly 4 years, my sleep and numbers never been better
There is always room for improvement
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone ever been 'cured' of sleep apnea and not had to use their CPAP any more?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 01:26 PM)walt Wrote: Has anyone ever been 'cured' of sleep apnea and not had to use their CPAP any more?

Yep I knew one guy once . broke his hip went to the Hospital ,they repaired his hip and drug him up so he was comfy layed him flat on his back . Guess what happened ? He no longer needs his CPAP Oh-jeez . As it is said , He woke up Dead ! R.I.P. Don . Forgot to mention when the family brought his machine to the hospital they were told he wouldn't need it . Think they were wrong !Perturbed
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone ever been 'cured' of sleep apnea and not had to use their CPAP any more?

You did have to ask this question today - well today the sleep clinic wanted to take my machine back (NHS free supply in the UK).
I have dropped from obese to a top end normal weight BMI of 24 by exercise and very minimal dietary changes. have had a new sleep test that says I no longer need my APAP machine. I still have the other common characteristics of apnea sufferers of slightly receded lower jaw and and restriction to the back of the throat but my machine and the sleep test indicate that this is not a problem as my sleep test was excellent. I have been monitoring the decrease in machine pressure and events as my fitness improved and my weight fell and today's events were not unexpected. for the past few months I have only recorded hypopnea and the odd CA the majority of which I believe I created myself when still awake pulling bed clothes around
I now have to see how I go on without using the machine which I have been doing for a few days as requested immediately after the sleep test . I have a pulse oxometer to monitor my sleep and this is looking good no O2 desaturations and no PR spikes. I have managed to retain my machine for another month in case there is any return of the fatigue I used to suffer.
Am I cured? that remains to be seen and I expect if I put weight on or loose muscle tone then a return to the hose will result.
When I started to get fit I could not walk at 3 miles an hour for 5 minutes now I run at least 3 miles a day at 6/7 miles an hour plus other gym work, so you may say I have swapped one form of torture for another but with a much better ability to enjoy life in general without all that constant fatigue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 01:26 PM)walt Wrote: Has anyone ever been 'cured' of sleep apnea and not had to use their CPAP any more?

I was wondering about that too! I had never heard of sleep apnea before and suddenly all these people I'm meeting are suffering from it? My 'spouse' responded one day that "maybe it's just nature's way of population control". Nice comment.

After years of CPAP, does everyone report the same number of apneas without CPAP? I wonder how the body has adapted to CPAP long-term (...and not using CPAP for a night).

Disclosure: Having said all that, I'm extremely grateful that CPAP has probably saved my life. Nights after about 3am are still awful, post CPAP, but I'll happily take those first 4 hours of sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Strangely too, with enough adjustments, AHI is down to about 5-6 from about 10-15 for the first 5 months of CPAP. (I attribute all that to reading and re-reading precious comments from 3 or 4 amazing board posters with massive experience. They've truly saved lives.) I'm still in awe of those who have sub 1.0 results and sleep a solid 7-8 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply

No one that I know of has reported that on this forum, but it is possible.

If weight gain caused the condition, then weight loss can cure it.

There's a 25% chance that a surgery could cure it. But it lays you up for quite a while, and can have some nasty side effects like trouble swallowing your food for the rest of your life.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 09:11 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: I was wondering about that too! I had never heard of sleep apnea before and suddenly all these people I'm meeting are suffering from it? My 'spouse' responded one day that "maybe it's just nature's way of population control". Nice comment.

If that's right there is a long list of other things to add. Like appendicitis. And premature birth. And all the types of diseases that we now routinely treat with drugs and surgeries. Why did nature allow us to develop sufficient powers of reason to develop treatments for these afflictions?

The reason you never heard of sleep apnea before is because you weren't paying attention when people were talking about it. I'd heard of it, and knew a few people who had it, but once I was diagnosed I heard about it a lot more. Mostly because that's when I started talking about it.

Sleep apnea has been around as long as there have been human beings. And probably before that. It's just that now we have a way to diagnose it, and more importantly a simple and highly effective way to treat it.

There is no other treatment as effective at treating this serious of an affliction as CPAP therapy is for treating obstructive sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 10:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

No one that I know of has reported that on this forum, but it is possible.
We don,t know, they don,t come back and report their success stories

I,m not buying into loosing weight is the cure, size does not matter here, skinny people can have sleep apnea too, no discrimination

Crowded mouth, narrowed airways, large tongue, blocked nose got nothing to do with being overweight (or is it?) and central sleep apnea definitely is not overweight issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Right now I have Severe Sleep Apnea as some of you have seen from my screenshots, showing my high apneas, although at present I am slewing on my back 100% of the time.

Making this short, all of my life i have been the right weight. I have mentioned here in the forum that i HAD TO put on weight and why for the past 2 years.
When I went to my doctor about this, earlier records showed my normal weight and then the increase as i had said I had and why .

Although i did not like my doctor at all due to his very poor bedside manner, he did tell me that as soon as i lost this weight it was highly unlikely I would need the machine.
He told my hubbie who was borderline that it wasn't necessary for him to take a machine and that losing some weight would be all he would need but even in my case with Severe Sleep Apnea, he said it was my choice if I wanted it because he felt if I did lose the weight within the 2 year period I said i would be losing it in I wouldn't be needing it.

And this is coming from apparently one of the best if not the best respirologist in Toronto.
So time will tell as my weight is already dropping but i will let u know once it has if they still think I need it or not .

But just the fact with Severe Sleep Apnea he said he did not think I would need it if the weight was lost and I go back down to my regular 115-120 weight, I think says a lot....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.