Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for Advice [Erratic results, many centrals]
RE: Looking for Advice [Erratic results, many centrals]
(09-04-2019, 12:22 AM)bonjour Wrote: Let's try to avoid the Centrals, set you PS to 2, possibly going to zero.  Yes, I know, a big change, but it should knock down the Centrals.

Or, if PS of 2 feels too uncomfortable after being used to PS of 8, lowering PS to 5 or 6 may be sufficient to produce a marked improvement in the number of CA events while still retaining most of the breathing effort reduction which PS provides.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that we need to reduce PS, and going all the way to 2 is a big step. Try dropping to 6.0, observe and decide from there whether to drop to 5. If you really need that high PS, then an alternative is to use "Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space" (EERS). There is a wiki on that subject you can read and learn how to add EERS tubing to your existing setup. It retains enough CO2 in the breathing circuit to prevent the centrals. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I questioned the settings initially, but I'll look into reducing that PS amount down.  I realized they probably set that because I was up in weight (which I'm working on reducing).  Also, it's been roughly 15 months and I'm surprised I haven't at least had some shred of a talk about the therapy outside of the DME asking me the required questions before monthly resupply.

Let me locate the instructions for reducing the settings and I'll update the thread after a few nights.  FWIW, I did drop down to a small mask last night and my AHI was < 5.  So, I partly believe I have an equipment issue along with a constant Central problem that has always been there.  It's just the new equipment batch has exacerbated the issue in the last 6 weeks.

--j
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick update. Reduced the setting to 6 instead of 8. I also switched back to the Small sized mask. First night where I switched masks my AHI was down to 5. With the mask and PS to 6 the second night, my centrals were cut in half and AHI was down to 3.5. Although, obstructive and hypos were up, but that’s where I think I was tucking my chin in, which could be fixed with a better pillow or cervical collar, I would think. More updates as I get used to 6 and look to decrease that number in testing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay    Good news that you are slowly clubbing this problem into submission. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Latest update: I’ve had a couple of nights around 0.3 and 0.4 in the last couple of weeks, with my home numbers being dropped significantly. I’m getting between 1 and 3 regularly minus a night with a cold (that was brutal). So far, on the right track after about a month. Oh, numbers seemed to get even better with a new cushion, which I received as part of my normal therapy touting for
the DME roughly 10 days ago. Good times!
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent news! Thanks for the update, and keep up the good work.

Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2019, 01:35 PM)snoopj123 Wrote: Latest update:  I’ve had a couple of nights around 0.3 and 0.4 in the last couple of weeks, with my home numbers being dropped significantly.  I’m getting between 1 and 3 regularly minus a night with a cold (that was brutal).  So far, on the right track after about a month.   Oh, numbers seemed to get even better with a new cushion, which I received as part of my normal therapy touting for
the DME roughly 10 days ago.  Good times!

Snoop, with even a little dash of luck for you, this may be your last cold in a long time.  Prior to my own diagnosis, I got a cold pretty much every December...without fail.  Since commencing PAP therapy in December 2017, I haven't had one.  Yeah, it's only the second December, and still coming up...but I ought to have had a cold, or a cold sore (I had those regularly as well), both caused by viruses, at least twice in the intervening months.

So, what I can hope for you, and you should as well, is that as your body gets better rest and less stress from apnea events, your immune system will become more responsive and look after you a bit better. 

That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 387 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,801 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.