Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for FFM or Hybrid mask suggestions . . .
Looking for FFM or Hybrid mask suggestions . . .
I run 15-17cm with a Resmed P10.

While my AHI is very low, I frequently get lip flutter even with a chin strap. I'm not willing to spin the wheel of death each night so I'm not going to be taping my lips shut, but have tried a couple of full face masks.

The Respironics Amara leaks like crazy just below my eyes, no matter how it's adjusted.

The Resmed Mirage Liberty actually works well if I tighten the top set of straps enough to make the pillows seal, but hurts the bottom of my nose right in front of my front teeth. If I loosen it enough to make it not hurt, it also doesn't seal. For some reason the Mirage needs a lot more pressure to seal the pillows than the P10 does.

Something like a P10 with a mouth cover that wasn't attached to the pillows and had it's own hose would be awesome, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Different brand/style/etc?

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for FFM or Hybrid mask suggestions . . .
After years of using nasal pillows, I started lip leaking. Drove me freakin' nuts. I tried all sorts of things and while the PAPCap seemed to work, I got tired of putting on all that gear at night. I had to use pillows because of leaking at the top of my nose into my eyes so I knew the journey to finding the right FFM was going to be interesting.

I trialed several masks and found the Simplus to be what I needed. I have never truly stopped the leaking at the top but liners have cut it down. The Simplus works for me because it likes to sit lower than most masks. The cushion is interchangeable so if you need a different size, you don't need an entire new mask.

You can read about my "journey" here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-going-FFM
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-with-FFM

As a side note, I just re-started with the Nuance to see if the lip leaking has resolved itself. I may just regularly switch between the two.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 12:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I trialed several masks and found the Simplus to be what I needed. I have never truly stopped the leaking at the top but liners have cut it down. The Simplus works for me because it likes to sit lower than most masks. The cushion is interchangeable so if you need a different size, you don't need an entire new mask.

I'm now on my second Simplus. The first one I could never get to stop leaking at higher pressures, but fortunately my AHI was low at the lower ones so I kept using it. The second one is a replacement I got in December. I don't know what's changed but it works FAR better than the first.

I have been experimenting with increased pressures hoping it will help my nocturia. So far it's leak rate has been almost nothing up to 12.4 cm.

I have no idea why this one works better than the first one.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 11:57 AM)Terry Wrote: I run 15-17cm with a Resmed P10.

While my AHI is very low, I frequently get lip flutter even with a chin strap. I'm not willing to spin the wheel of death each night so I'm not going to be taping my lips shut, but have tried a couple of full face masks

Does anybody have any suggestions? Different brand/style/etc?

Terry

Hello. I also recommend the Simplus. I run ASV pressures 11-17 and have had zero leaks. I find it very comfortable.

My technician recommended getting a size larger than I needed but to wear the mask with the chin completely within the mask - so the bottom edge of the mask fits under the chin. This works really well for me.

Hope you find something to suit you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:My technician recommended getting a size larger than I needed but to wear the mask with the chin completely within the mask - so the bottom edge of the mask fits under the chin. This works really well for me.

I may try that!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
+1 for the Simplus. The medium seems to be the correct size for me but the side seals hit on facial pressure points. I moved up one size and this relieved this problem and it actually seals better. I now switch between the Simplus and a P10.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 06:25 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: +1 for the Simplus. The medium seems to be the correct size for me but the side seals hit on facial pressure points. I moved up one size and this relieved this problem and it actually seals better. I now switch between the Simplus and a P10.

Everybody seems to like the Simplus, so I ordered one today. We'll see how it goes.

Pretty soon I'll have a fine collection of lightly used FFMs. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply
You could start your very own mask museum, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Simplus. Ive run a Simplus up to 18 cmh20
Handles high pressures well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another vote for the Simplus. It's really good 90% of the time, but the other 10% it leaks badly and blows in my eyes. Still, it's the best mask I've had so far.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,214 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 986 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 288 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.