Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows)
RE: Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows)
Thank you everyone for your input. Ockrocket especially, I appreciate you taking the time to post the pictures!

I decided to start with the Wisp for the simple reason that I was surprised to fine one online at my favorite online vendor for only $50 and I didn't even have to go through the hassle of sending in a prescription. I don't think we're supposed to post links, let's just say it was a "prime" deal Bigwink Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope this helps validate your decision, while pretty new to APAP (about 2months in) I've used the Eson, the Wisp, and the P10s.

I'd really like to get the P10s to work for me ( and used them the previous two nights), but find I do better with the Wisp (which I'm using tonight). I like the Wisp is pretty minimal. Not quite as minimal as the P10s, but a great seal for me (side sleeper).

The Eson was way too much mask for me. The bar to the forehead strap drove me to distraction.

On my Wisp there is a silicone bridge off the nasal mask that is help in place by adjustable fabric pieces. The venting is not diffused (as on the P10) which doesn't bother me, but might be a downside for some.

Hope you like it.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'm looking forward to receiving mine on Friday and trying it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I struggled for many years trying to find the right light nasal mask with a good seal that also didn't irritate my skin- i tried many including wisp, swift fx etc. and finally ran across an article on a cloth mask by circadiance , their elan model - although it seemed counter intuitive and my RT panned it when I discussed it with him aND i was skepical when i saw pictures. However after reading many reviews, most positive I gave it a try. The cloth inflates like a balloon and then melds to the contours of your face and provides a very effective seal. I bought one 2 years ago and have never looked back 2 years later. I am a restless sleeper, sleep on side and back with a beard and this mask seals well, is light and best of all causes little skin irritation for me. You do need to use a support pole for your hose and spend some time adjusting straps to get a good fit. They come in three sizes to fit different facial anatomy and they provide an instructional cd with the start up mask kit whch includes all 3 sizes of their nasal madk and the cd explains how to get the perfect . You might want to give it a look. Good luck with your search.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2016, 12:40 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote:
(10-19-2016, 06:16 AM)cate1898 Wrote: What about trying the Swift FX Nano nasal mask.
The two I had my under consideration when I started were the Wisp and Swift, and I've added the Eson to consideration as well.

The reason I was leaning towards the Wisp at the start is that the strapping system seems more secure to me (same on Eson) and I actually don't mind the straps.

I've been using the Wisp since starting treatment and decided to try out the Swift FX Nano. Not so good a move.

Pro
1) The Nano was easy to put on and off. Much easier than the Wisp.

Cons
1) The Nano venting was a bit louder than the Wisp. That was the 1st thing I noticed using it.
2) The headgear was easy to put on, but that also caused the nasal mask to shift around more. See point 3.
3) I slip my hose through the top loop provided on the Wisp headgear. There is none on the Nano. The mask tends to move up pushing the bottom of the mask against the nostrils and it got uncomfortable. It also leaked from the bottom which I have not encountered on the Wisp - maybe different for different facial structure?
4) Couldn't quite tighten it any further without the mask jamming under the nose.
5) Given the design, I would have difficulty using it with a chin strap as they both occupy the same head space. Maybe having the chin strap on top of the Nano might even stabilize it.

Since I've already spent $$ on the Nano, I'll try to work with it till it gives up the ghost. All self funded and shipped overseas, so durability, cost and effectiveness are very much key considerations for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2016, 09:41 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote: Thanks. The website is a bit confusing. It says:

Quote:Wisp combines the performance of a nasal mask with the style of a nasal pillows mask.

But it does not have pillows right?

May I ask what masks you used before the Wisp?

Did you get the fabric or silicon frame?

I use the fabric frame. It's been about 7 months and the fabric has started to part in some places, especially where the bottom headband clips engage the frame. However, the frame has a hard underlying structure - think it may be the same bare silicone frame. So it is still functioning fine. Have changed out to my 2nd nasal cushion and it has started to weaken - leaks are starting. Tightening the 4 velcro straps helps.

I have to double or triple soap the fabric to get the facial oils reasonably off. Have only used it on the matt side and yet to flip it over to the silky/shiny side.

The Swift FX Nano nasal cushion is much softer and thinner compared to the Wisp.
Depends on how you look at it - maybe more comfortable or less durable. Haven't used it long enough to know.Unsure

Post Reply Post Reply
My favorite mask is the ResMed Activa or its clone, the ResMed Activa LT. I am a definite side sleeper and a longtime CPAP?BiPAP patient. I have found either mask to be the most satisfactory that I have used.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 0 36 5 hours ago
Last Post: PinehillJoe
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,456 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 978 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,067 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,717 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 159 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 654 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.