Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for nasal mask advice, air (used to) blow out of my mouth under pressure
Looking for nasal mask advice, air (used to) blow out of my mouth under pressure
Anyone have advice for using a nasal mask without having the air come back out your mouth? Preferably besides using a chin strap (although I'm willing to try that again), e.g. what is going on physiologically and can I stop it / train muscles or something ?

I've been using an AirTouch F20 FFM and having halfway decent success when I'm able to fall asleep with it (another story). But it's big and bulky and annoying, I can't really read with it on, and I find that I have to use my oral appliance to hold my jaw forward enough to get a seal.

So I've been thinking about trying something else. In the past I tried both nasal cradle and nasal pillow types, but the reason I went FFM was because my mouth would open under the pressure and the air would blow out....decreasing my breathing and/or waking me up.

But I've been tolerating other aspects of the machine now as well, so why not give a smaller mask another go? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for nasal mask advice, air (used to) blow out of my mouth under pressure
I notice that the lower limit of your pressure is 5, which may be appropriate for a child but not an adult. It seems to me that a pressure of less than 7 (maybe 8) could cause you to open your mouth in order to get more air. However, one of the bona-fide experts (which I am not) will come along with better guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for nasal mask advice, air (used to) blow out of my mouth under pressure
F30 has a smaller footprint, more like a pillows with mouth cover. Comes in size medium or small only. I'm not getting a good seal with medium so will try small next.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, F30, F30i, or Dreamwear would be the closest to what you seem to be looking for. They are nasal cradle with mask over the mouth so opening mouth doesn't create leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some ideas that might help you use a nasal interface successfully:

1. Tongue position. Try putting the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth. Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate. Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction. You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose. Practice this during the day, and see if you can get it grooved in deeply enough to help while you are asleep at night. For some people, this is really all it takes to avoid mouth leaks.

2. Collar. If your jaw tends to drop down during the night, pulling your mouth open, then a soft cervical collar, or a firmer snore collar, can be a big boon. More here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
3. Although chin straps tend to pull the jaw back, which is not helpful, the Knightsbridge Dual Band strap has a design that pulls the jaw straight up, which makes it a possible alternative to a cervical collar.

4. Tape. Some people (including me) rely on tape to keep the lips from opening. (I can't rely entirely on the tongue thing.) When the lips open, all too often that eventually leads to a noisy and disruptive mouth leak. To see whether tape would be feasible for you, I recommend that you invest in a box of Somnifix strips. They are very gentle on the skin but hold very well. Be sure to curl your lips inward per instructions before placing the strip. If these work for you, then you can experiment with lower-cost options. (Note: Somnifix must be having supply-chain problems these days. If you have trouble finding them, you could use any gentle tape. I sometimes use BSN Medical Cover Roll Stretch, 4" x 10 yds, Single Roll, White - 50423. Be sure to fold over one end so you'll have a little tab you can grab to remove the tape.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

Good point about the pressure. I did actually just bump it up a notch the other day, I might see if I can do a little more.

The F30 does look interesting. Might be a safer option for me  than nose only. Not sure if I would fit a medium (I’m using a large right now of the F 20), and also I found the air touch foam version works better for my beard and I don’t see one of those on the 30. Hmm. 

And Dormeo, Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I will look into them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypofix/Cover Roll Stretch works amazingly well for me!  I used to have terrible lip leaks.  They were so bad I couldn't use a nasal mask but full face masks drive my AHI up really high.

The 4 inch wide stuff sounds intense and like it would be good for some BDSM.  I use the 2 inch wide version and I find it is plenty (there isn't much more room than an inch above my lip and it sits about an inch below my lip).  Does the 4 inch come all the way down past your chin?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the 4 inch dimension horizontally and cut off pieces that are as large as I need vertically.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the detailed information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was first diagnosed (AHI 69) wnl bmi.  dodo RT solved my mouth leak by turning down the pressure to ineffective.  You will be amazed when you are able to get your pressure back up to titration defined levels that are effective for your cognitive fog.  I do not have a success story due to small mouth, plus 2 airway surgeries in 1970 that actually caused sleep apnea.  Taping or straps never worked for me and I've always had a full face mask, BiPap 19/15. Current treatment still seems extreme, but prosthedontist custom fits a MyTap mandibular advance device, but glues it together so to fashion a mouth clamp.  God forbid I get aspiration, but it works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.