Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for non-CPAP device for occassional use
RE: Looking for non-CPAP device for occassional use
if were me, I would put the money towards upgrade to data capable machine
the machine listed in your profile "Philips Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex" is not data capable machine
no efficacy data, AHI, FL, snore, leak, etc.. just usage (hours)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm VERY skeptical about Provent. If you try it, try it at home before ending up stuck in the woods without CPAP. For that matter, try anything you plan to use away from home, including battery packs.

Dental devices sometimes work, but I think success rates are low. I'm very skeptical about non-custom devices as well. Even with a custom device, if your apnea isn't caused by your jaw position, it's not going to do any good.

You may find you do better if you sleep on your stomach or side. I do pretty good without CPAP if I get a body length pillow in addition to my regular pillow and sort hug it and grab it between my knees to keep me on my side.

AveoTSD is one of the "tongue grabbing" gadgets. It looks intriguing and makes sense, but I have no idea about success rates.

Be careful about going without CPAP and finding you ruined your vacation (and maybe some friendships) because of no sleep. Also don't forget you may be disturbing your buddies with your snoring.

By the way, we're all assuming you'll be without power. Is that true, or will you have AC or even DC power available on your trip?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stangman, I think posters have covered available subitutes for CPAP therapy- MMA appliance (dental device) and Provent.
Have fun! Enjoy your trip.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all very much for the information. I think I will just stick with constant CPAP usage and get a battery. Don't want to add apnea episodes, heart strain, and terrible sleep to typically sleep deprived weekends.
Post Reply Post Reply
About the expense of provent - I've heard to use a new one every night, then heard of some who use one for 4-5 nights. Any thoughts about this?
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot recommend Provent at this point for reasons stated elsewhere on this forum. But I am not familiar with one using the same strip for more than one night - the glue on the strip would normally not hold for a second application.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard of people gluing them on to get an additional night or more. I guess if you spend enough time on the web you'll hear of people doing just about anything.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2013, 02:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I guess if you spend enough time on the web you'll hear of people doing just about anything.

Quite.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another option would be to get a 12volt to 120 volt inverter.Shy

Run it off your car battery and you have instant 120 volt power!

Depending on the age and capacity of your car battery, You might want to take a extra battery along......... (Just in case)

A CPAP seems to use about the same (or less) power than a 100 watt light bulb.

I have used a 500 watt inverter for this application.

Avilable on e=bay or other places like harbor freight for about $25

Eric

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 05:53 PM)u2canbuild Wrote: Another option would be to get a 12volt to 120 volt inverter.Shy

Run it off your car battery and you have instant 120 volt power!

That's certainly an option. That way you can run other stuff, too, like a TV. Wink

Respironics machines, though, run natively on 12 volt DC electricity, so you can hook 'em up directly to the battery.

Quote:Depending on the age and capacity of your car battery, You might want to take a extra battery along......... (Just in case)

That's a good idea. If a hurricane heads this way I'm off to the parts store to buy an extra car battery. Just in case!

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,057 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,207 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 1,012 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 391 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 432 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 340 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 369 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.